CHAPTER 10

CHAPTER 10

The record player was droning a dreadful tune, and I couldn't help but wonder who was subjecting themselves to such pain.

"Take these sunken eyes and learn to see

All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to be free"

"Asher?"

He turned and looked at me, his glasses perched on his nose. I think we were both pretending to forget about what happened yesterday. Deep down, I wanted him to apologize for being an ass, but I knew he wouldn't. Because when push comes to shove, he's almost as stubborn as I am.

"Hi," he said.

"What on God's good earth are you listening to?"

"Uh," he chuckled before grabbing the sleeve of the record that was spinning around and around the spindle. "The Beatles?"

"Blackbird fly into the light of the dark black night"

"Sounds awful," I teased as I step into the room.

"I like it," he muttered. "It's not like anything I've ever heard before."

"To each their own I guess," I shrugged and took a seat on the couch.

"You were only waiting for this moment to arise." It slowed to a stop and the room became quiet. It became harder and harder to keep my feelings suppressed for this boy. I knew that he felt the same way, because how could he not? The way he acted. The things he said to me. But saying it out loud would make it real. And that's what I feared the most.

"So you really didn't like that song huh?" Asher asked.

"It was not my favorite, no."

"Well, I've been listening to some of their stuff, and I found a song. I can't describe it in any way that would make you understand how strange it is."

I was intrigued and he was excited to show me something. "Play it immediately."

Asher got up and began to rummage through his "Loved it" pile until he found the one he was looking for. Sliding it out of the sleeve, he placed it on the spindle. He then came and sat down.

His hand brushed my arm gently as he sat next to me. When I felt his contact an avalanche of suppressed emotion filled the pit of my stomach. My head grew fuzzy, my skin felt numb, and my heart was beating so fast that I'm surprised he couldn't hear it.

"In the town where I was born

Lived a man who sailed to sea

And he told us of his life

In the land of submarines."

I chuckled lightly and looked over at Asher who was smiling so wide that it was infectious.

"So we sailed up to the sun

'Til we found a sea of green

And we lived beneath the waves

In our yellow submarine"

"Ash, what is-"

"No no wait, this is the best part."

"We all live in a yellow submarine

Yellow submarine, yellow submarine."

I couldn't help myself from laughing. Asher was swaying to the beat. When I saw this, I stood up and began to dance.