Chapter 29: The Anchor's Siren

This cat and mouse game Bryan and I have been playing has got to stop. I know that. But I really don't feel like being lectured. I left his apartment without a trace; no heads up, no thank you; just left my absence as a gift. And it's the guilt that I'm running away from mainly-- not him. We haven't spoken or seen each other since. Surprisingly, he hasn't made any efforts to reach out to me. Maybe he's upset. Or maybe he's just as swamped as I am, to the point where he doesn't have the emotional capacity to care. But, it all ends here-- sitting across from each other in the boardroom. He's next to Leraunte who sits adjacent to Bryant at the head of the table, and I sit beside Candice who sits adjacent to Kenya at the head of the table. Yes--the table has two heads. I heard Kenya put Bryant through hell just to break that unspoken rule. As for Bryan and I, we're about to break another rule: At the age of twenty-one, holding grudges should no longer be a thing.

"To conclude our meeting,"--Bryant looks to his wife-- "Kenya, will you do the honors? I think it's more in your arena."

She chuckles, closing the folder laid out before her. "Don't be silly Bryant, you love event planning just as much as I do," she says. "Just so you know, everyone, he picked out the drapes and the caterers. He insisted that Curry and Jerk be served."

Low laughter and discreet snickers sound about the room. Bryant looks down at the table, clearly embarrassed. The two of them are the most fun-loving duo, even to their employees. They know when to be serious but whenever there's a chance to add humor, they make sure to do so. Especially Kenya. The moment Bryant turns into a "chauvinistic pig", as she so kindly put it earlier, she ensures to knock him down a few notches.

"As many of you know, our Spring Fundraiser is coming up," she says seriously. "In collaboration with NABA, the National Association of Black Accountants, and NABJ, the National Association of Black Journalists, it's our goal is to raise at least one million by the end of the night...This year is going be monumental for us," she says, meeting the eyes of everyone in the room. "Our expansion deal has increased our prospects, and luckily we have partners who are invested enough in our humanitarian efforts to travel. They even went as far as inviting their network of friends." She takes a moment, slipping a piece of paper out of her briefcase. "Our partners in the UK will be attending. As well as those from California, Kansas, Lousiana, Baltimore and...Long Island--

Another round of laughter sounds around the room, including Bryants; even Tiffany's, who's actually the only Long Island native in the room. I sneak a glance at Bryan and he smiles over at me softly, shaking his head. Definitely not upset.

"Just kidding," says Kenya, laughing at her own joke. "They deserve love too. But if any of you are already questioning. No, we won't be holding the gala in the accustomed location. This one specifically calls for more space."

"Thank God," I say, inwardly, looking around to make sure no one heard me. The last place I want to be at is the banquet hall I last saw my father.

"There will be more on that as the date approaches, but ladies get your finest gowns and gentleman, don't cheat yourselves. I want to see you in matching socks and fresh haircuts this year. No excuses."

I thought everyone would disperse after the meeting but apparently, everyone I didn't meet on my first day, chooses today to give me a personal welcome. I can feel Bryan's eyes on me. I'm smiling so hard my cheeks hurt. All I can do is nod and mutter, "yes", "thank you", and "you too." I almost think he's waiting for me, but when Leraunte brushes past him, gesturing for him to follow, he leaves.

"All right everyone, give Alaina a break," says Candice. "You're smothering her, and we have work to do." She nudges me. "Don't we?"

"Yeah, yeah," I say, nodding feverishly. "It was a pleasure meeting all of you, really. I'll see you around." I wave them all goodbye, watching the small crowd empty into the hallway. "Thank you," I whisper to Candice. "One more compliment and I'm sure my face would've been stuck like that for the rest of my life."