Chapter 35: Tripping off Rose Quartz

Isla and I have been planning this ever since we went to check out the loft; which I've already moved into by the way. I fell in love with the rustic brick walls, warehouse-style windows, and all the open space. No boxes--except for the bathroom. It was perfect. As for this double-date... after the boys helped me mount my furniture, arrange my bohemian style living room, and check out all the kitchen appliances; we all went our separate ways and said we'd meet back up at a restaurant or lounge of choice.

Now, we walk into the restaurant section of Blacker the Berry as a unit; with Isla latched onto Bryan's bicep and Drew and I glued together by the hip. Ceiling lights illuminate the room in sensual reds and purples, reflecting off the polished red brick walls, and in the back of the room behind the small performance stage, there's a walled garden. A mixture of '90s and contemporary R&B music bellows throughout the room setting the mood; and it's one that single's out and celebrates Black Love.

"I've never been here before," says Drew.

"It's hidden for a reason," I respond.

We drove past the entrance about two times before I had to call Bryan and ask for a reminder of the location. A little ways off of the main road, at the edge of the city, and through an alleyway sit's Blacker the Berry. The new age, Nubian restaurant with weekend poetry slams and surprise guest performers. They have an omniscient presence in Ithaca, and it's that same trait that almost got them evicted. According to Bryan, the owners Keshell and Kelly are old school. They didn't want any college kids coming in to "disrupt the peace", which is ironic when they're located in a college town. But after Kenya consulted with them and won their case, she was able to put an end to that ancient tradition, as well as the ancient belief that all college students are looking to rebel and make a scene. Drew and I left the house before Bryan and Isla, but by the time we managed to find the place, they arrived.

We follow Bryan over to the circular booth he rented out for us, adjacent to the walled garden. And both men stand to the side allowing for me and Isla to go in first. "Thanks," I say to Drew. He slides in next to me, circling my shoulders with one arm. And Bryan slides in next to Isla who leans into him, eagerly. He does the same with his arm, pulling her into him and she leans up to give him a chaste kiss on the lips. They've been glued to each other the moment they hopped out of his car.

"It's a gem, right?" Bryan asks Drew.

"Yeah bro, I fucks with this shit heavily." Drew takes another look around. "It reminds me of this spot down in the city: The Nuyorican Poets Cafe. That shit hit different. It's a lil' smaller than this, though."

"I'll have to check that out next time I visit," says Bryan.

"Definitely," says Drew. "It's a good thing your mom took on their case, though. It's a good save."

"She'll love to hear that," Bryan says chuckling.

"No cap," says Drew. "We need more spaces like this 'round campus. Those coffee shops ain't cuttin' it for me, bro."

Bryan laughs. "I guess not everyone can be coerced into being a coffee addict. I'll take no offense."

Drew chuckles.

"You look grand, Alaina," Isla mutters, slipping away from Bryan to scoot closer to me. She glances over my maroon corset bodysuit and high-waisted jeans shorts. I paired it nicely with thin-strappy heels, and for once in my life have a full face of makeup. As for my hair, I've tied it up into a high ponytail with a side-swoop.

I scoot closer to her, letting the boys have their moment. Drew finds my hand by his waist and holds it in his lap. "So do you," I say to Isla. She's a literal seductress in that red bodycon dress. Her cleavage is enough to share between the both of us, almost spilling from the cup, and her bob is styled in messy waves. "So, have you two...had the talk yet?" I ask, referring to her and Bryan. Besides my mixed emotions about him, I've been pushing for her to pop the question on commitment.