Chapter 31: The Best-Friend

The merging and integrating of business groups are under full effect over at Taylor Consulting. I thought Candice was over exaggerating when she said we'd be losing a couple of pounds, and I thought Bryan was just being Bryan when he said to bring my homework assignments to the office. I'm a literal fish out of water right now. Caught in-between self-nourishment, final projects, work projects. It all feels pretty impossible, to me.

I'm busy typing up a report when there's a knock on my door. "Bryan?" I ask, already expecting him. But it creeks open, only to reveal, "Isla?"

"Hiii Alaina." She smiles timidly, that adorable tooth gap appearing.

I laugh softly at her enunciation of my name. She has a natural breathy voice and pronounces it with an "E" instead of an "A". Elaina.

"I hope you don't mind me coming in all unannounced," she says. "It's just that Bryan..." She approaches my desk with two files in her hands. "He has a lot on his plate. I offered to deliver these," she says.

"Thanks," I say, sliding the files closer to me.

"Oh, it's no problem!"

I expect her to leave immediately after, but when the door doesn't close, and I look up from the manuscripts in front of me to find her standing around awkwardly... "Isla is everything alright?"

"Yes," she says, snapping out of whatever daydream she's conjured into the room. But she doesn't look sure of her words. "I mean, no." She settles with a deep frown. "Oh, I just don't know, Alaina." She flops down onto the chair in front of my desk, sulking with one leg crossed over the other. "You can make time for a little girl chat, can you?"

"Of course," I lie, not at all sure of where this conversation is headed. But she looks distressed. "What is it?" I relax into my chair. I do not have time for this, but my hands can use a break.

"Well, I just wanted to ask a few questions." She steals a glance at me, uncharacteristically nervous.

"Ask away," I say.

"It's about Bryan..." she trails off.

I laugh softly, as to prevent any unwanted tension. I never thought I'd find myself in this position, not knowing whether to tread lightly when questioned about Bryan's extracurricular activities or to give his whole truth. She's his girlfriend after all, but he trusts me with everything, and trust shouldn't be sold for likeability.

"What about him?" I usher warmly. I want her to feel comfortable enough to open up to me, at least.

"Is he always so hard to get through to?" She asks.

I cock my head to the side. Never. "What do you mean?"

"I mean he's always working. I mean, constantly, relentlessly, working," she says, gesturing with her hands. "He wouldn't even let me take him out to lunch." She sighs. "He's become a bit of a bore."

I laugh, getting more comfortable in my chair. "I'm not going to lie to you, that's just Bryan under pressure. He shuts everyone out, especially because he always thinks his father has it out for him. But he means no harm."

He'd probably hate himself if he overheard what Isla and I are discussing. He's such a people pleaser.

"So, he's not like this all the time?" She ensures.

"You'll wish he's stayed like this forever when he's back to himself," I say, laughing. "Trust me."

We share a laugh.

***********

I decided to stop being a prissy bitch and take her out to lunch with me. Unlike Candice and the Taylors, I can't stay inside my office the whole day; and going to the break room doesn't count as taking a break at all. Isla was relieved to get the invitation. She said she'd be glad to get some fresh air, and that I was the first person she's met so far with a human conscience.