Chapter 34: The Gala

Today's the big day. When Valo said lots of skin would be out, I thought he just meant a little shoulder action, but there's a deep thigh-high slit, and a deep V in the back of the dress cutting all the way down to the base of my spine, "Pin your braids to the side," he said. The dress is an ivory, column, off-the-shoulder short-sleeve, with a short sweeping train. The corset hugs my waist, producing a bit of cleavage, and there's no excessive petticoat. The satin fabric just falls off of the small curve of my waist.

"You look so beautiful, Lai," says Drew, openly gawking at me.

We not too long ago arrived in his car. Now we're approaching the entrance hand in hand.

"Thank you," I say shyly. He's dressed in a navy blue, double-breasted Kingsman suit, with an ivory-colored shirt and tie. It shows off his lean shoulders and hugs his torso. "Thanks for being my date for the night," I say.

"How could I turn down an invitation from an Angel?" He says, his bright brown eyes flickering all over my face.

We stop in front of the banquet hall, away from the door, and I pull him to the side to cup his face, using my thumb to brush the crumbs from his mustache. "All you do is eat," I say giggling.

"You had to do that in front of all these people," he says chuckling, looking over my shoulder at the passing guests. "Why not in front of the car? Got me lookin' like a toddler."

"It's brighter over here," I say laughing. "You're good now." I slide my hands across his shoulders, down the expanse of his chest, checking for any creases. The advantage I have in these heels is everything.

"Lai, chill out," he says chuckling. "You gon' end up touchin' the wrong place if you go any lower." I gape up at him. "Yeah, I thought so. Now stop worryin'. You look good, I look good. We set," he says. "Now come on." He takes my hand, intertwining our fingers.

I take a deep breath, looking towards the entrance. "I'm nervous," I breathe.

He looks down at me, pulling my hand up to his lips for a kiss. "I know you are," he says. "Now relax...I gotchu." He's the first to walk through the door.

There's a set of grand bifurcated stairs leading up to the hall and I almost cry staring back at it. All those stairs in these heels? God give me the strength and the patience. "Come on, I gotchu," mutters Drew. He's patient with me, holding my hand as I lift the train of the dress and begin the trek. I'm not the only one doing it. There are women behind and in front of us either doing it with assistance or doing it solo.

I can already spot some BSU members. They give a small wave and I try to reciprocate without missing a step. Yazmine, Sage, and Simon should also be here. I almost squeal thinking about it. This is so exciting.

"Aight," says Drew, guiding us up the last stair. "You ready?" He asks.

"I have to be," I say. He offers his elbow and I take it smiling childishly.

The ballroom is packed. Crystal Chandeliers hang suspended from the ceiling and the drapes are a beautiful golden orange. A small stage is set up playing live jazz, and surprisingly enough, it's not classical. They're performing covers to popular Rap and R&B songs.

"Is that Travis Scott I hear?" Asks Drew, just catching on.

"Yosemite to be specific," I say, chuckling.

"This shit bump," he says, bobbing his head. "Shawty on the violin is killin' it."

Kenya was right to aim for simplicity. Only heads upon heads can be seen. There's an open floor and surrounding it are round tables with assigned seating. Most likely Drew and I are at the same table as Bryan and Isla.