Remembering the Past

"Beth, go give the asset his new mask," my lab partner, Dani, said to me. I nodded my head sadly. I picked up the black metallic mask and walked through the dark hallway to deliver the mask to my best friend. He was my best friend. Although I will never see him again. They did something to him. Something horrible.

******
Before all this HYDRA stuff happened, I was happy. Happy with my two best friends in the world, Steve Rogers and James 'Bucky' Barnes. I never really hung around girls at the time. They kept talking about makeup and hair and what type of clothes they would wear tomorrow. But Steve and Bucky were different, they accepted my weird and quirkiness, it was actually kind of nice.

We would always hang out at the fro-yo shop or Steve's house. At the time Steve was short and skinny and wanted to be in the military more than anything. So me and Bucky helped him. Eventually he got in. While Steve was in training, it was only Bucky and I for a while. We slowly got closer to each other, knowing facts and stories that even Steve didn't know.

I told him that I wish there would be a way to see him and Steve when they were away on missions and stuff for the military. Bucky nodded and continued to talk about his military life.

Then Steve was transformed into a 'super soldier' days after. Bucky and I were confused but still supported him no matter what. Every time Steve got a gig, Bucky and I would always sit in the front seats and cheer him on. That always made Steve smile.

A few months later, a day or two before Steve and Bucky would leave for a mission, I got a phone call. There was a woman that asked me if I wanted to monitor their mission. I gladly accepted. I got paid twice as much as I did in my lab and I could see Steve and Bucky through cameras.

After I had hung up, there was a knock on the door. I opened the door and saw Bucky standing there with his hands behind his back. He looked nervous. He asked me if I liked my surprise. Bucky told me he had talked to some guys at the control centre and had got me the job. I didn't know what to say. I thanked him.

He pulled out some flowers behind his back, orchids. They were my favourite. Then the most amazing thing happened, Bucky asked if we could get frozen yogurt sometime, just the two of us. He said we could go after the mission if I wanted. My heart beat increased rapidly. I felt like I was flying.

Bucky bit his bottom lip nervously, expecting me to say no. I smiled at him, he's trying to ask me out on a date! With all the courage in my heart, I said yes, he hugged me with glee.

When he pulled away I couldn't contain my excitement. I kissed him. Surprisingly, Bucky kissed back. I guess he was used to surprise kisses since he's dated, I don't know exactly but a lot of girls. That moment was perfect, I couldn't be happier.

Steve and Bucky had already flown out of town to go on their mission, while I watched intently. On their mission they boarded a train, I smiled as Bucky grinned and waved at one of the security cameras. A faint blush appeared on my cheeks as he winked at it.

The other girls in the room gushed, they thought he was winking at them. I stifled a giggle. The girls instantly started gossiping about who he actually winked at. I rolled my eyes, this is exactly why I don't hang out with girls.

Steve snapped Bucky back to reality as they approached the front of the train. I did my job, alerting them when guards came and watching security cameras when there was any danger.

The next thing I could remember was Bucky hanging out the side of the train. Steve held out his hand, Bucky couldn't reach it. Steve's blue eyes filled with sorrow and fear. He couldn't loose him. I couldn't loose him.