Chapter Twenty-Three

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Much to Eleanora's chagrin, she did end up wearing the dress Alice had wanted her to. She shifted uncomfortably where she sat in Bella's truck as the brunette drove the two of them to the Cullen residence, picking at the hem of her dress.

"A little uncomfortable there, El?" Bella asked, watching as her friend shifted once more. 

"What do you think, Bella?" Ellie asked with a raised eyebrow. "Besides don't pretend I didn't see your face when Alice said that you had to wear that dress as well." Ellie continued, her eyes falling to the dress that Bella was currently wearing. 

"It's just not what I would usually wear," Bella admitted. 

"Exactly, so you now know how I'm feeling." Ellie continued. "But hey I didn't want to upset Alice. I'm sure I can manage for a few hours." 

"Same with me." Bella agreed. 

"Alright, let's go do this." Ellie started as Bella pulled in the driveway of the Cullen house. "Let's go celebrate your birthday!" 

Ellie stepped out of the truck, pulling the dress back down uncomfortably before she and Bella walked up to the front door, knocking briefly to let the family know that the two girls were about to enter, before allowing themselves in. Edward soon met Bella and Ellie at the door, the couple leaving Ellie as she searched for the voices that she could hear. Soon reaching the living room where the party was supposed to take place due to the decorations and candles that lit up the place. 

The candles were placed on every single surface, their light flickering against the walls. Fairy lights were strung against the walls, with an elegantly decorated cake sitting proudly in the corner. 

Ellie smiled widely at the Cullen family that were making the final preparations as she descended the stairs, a chorus of hello's following her and walked over to where Jasper stood, sensing that an offer of help would not be necessary. 

"I'm assuming that this is the dress that Alice was talking about?" Jasper asked curiously. 

"Indeed," Ellie returned, pulling at the hem again. 

"You seem rather uncomfortable." Jasper mused with a smile. 

"Have you ever seen me voluntarily wear a dress, Jazz?" Ellie asked with a raised eyebrow. 

"Not exactly." 

"And there's your answer," Ellie answered with a wide smile, turning to the newcomers of Bella and Edward that had just entered the room. 

"We're sorry about this," Carlisle apologised. "We tried to rein Alice in." 

The simple apology made Ellie smile, she could only wonder what the living room would look like if Alice hadn't been restricted from going all out. 

"As if that were possible," Esme joked, pulling Bella into a hug, "Happy Birthday, Bella."

A flash going off as Alice clicked the button on Bella's camera. "Found it in your bag. You mind?" 

"Dating an older woman. Hot." Emmet commented, nudging Edward in the side as Edward glared at him. 

"You first Rosalie," Alice said, giving Bella's present to the blonde as Rosalie reluctantly handed it out to Bella. 

"It's a necklace. Alice picked it out." Rosalie muttered bluntly as a smile flirted at the corners of her mouth. 

"Show me the love!" Alice called, aiming the camera once more at Bella and Edward, the couple hugging as Alice took the picture, before turning to reach another present. "This one's from Emmett."

Ellie watched as Bella took the next present from Alice. For someone who didn't like birthdays, Bella was doing remarkably well. Tensing slightly at the feel of a cold hand taking hers, Ellie looked over at Jasper with a gentle smile but she continued staring ahead, her smile slowly growing. 

Bella shook the box lighting only to hear no sound of a rattling gift. "Already installed it in your truck. Finally, a decent sound system in that piece of-" 

"Hey, don't hate on the truck," Bella defended, cutting Emmett off, earning several chuckles from around the room. Bella thanked Emmett before Alice handed her another, this one from Carlisle and Esme. 

"Just a little something to brighten your day," Carlisle added. 

"You've been looking kind of pale lately," Esme continued, Ellie letting out a slight chuckle in amusement. 

Bella's small 'ow' seconds later sent a ripple effect around the room, holding her finger up to reveal blood flowing from the paper cut she had received from the present. Ellie winced slightly as she felt bones in her hand crack, although she didn't know what ones, the next thing she knew was that she was being tugged away from Jasper, Ellie's eyes watching everything unfold in shock. 

Jasper started to run towards Bella, a crazed look in his eyes, but Edward shoved her out of the way, causing her to smash onto a glass table at the end of the room, pieces of glass ripping into Bella's skin, producing more blood. Emmet and Carlisle held Jasper back, Alice attempting to calm him before all the vampires smelt the blood, turning towards Bella. 

"Get Jasper out of here," Carlisle ordered, before speeding over to where Bella sat. 

"Are you okay?" Rosalie asked Ellie, a hand resting on one of Ellie's shoulders. 

"I'm fine," Ellie assured, realisation falling onto her that Rosalie had been the one to tug her away from Jasper, an action that surprised her. 

Alice, Rosalie and Esme soon followed Jasper and Emmett out of the room, leaving only Carlisle, Edward, Bella and Ellie. Ellie walked over to where Bella was sitting, observing her carefully.

"I need to stitch this up in my office and look at Ellie's hand." Carlisle started, his eyes darting up from Bella's bleeding arm to Ellie, before turning to his adoptive son. "Go check on Jasper. He's probably very upset with himself. I doubt he will listen to anyone but you now." Carlisle continued only receiving no response from Edward. "Edward." The vampire eventually removed his eyes from Bella and left the room. 

"Are you okay, Bella?" Ellie asked softly. 

"Are you okay?" Bella retorted as Ellie soon nodded slightly. Both girls still wrapping their heads around everything that had happened so quickly.