Chapter 10

TW: None
Word Count: 2226

"So right now, what I'm thinking is that we implant a hole with a bunch of different grooves, like this, into what's left of your arm and create a sort of ball and socket type thing. You'd still be able to do everything that you can right now if I put in the right things. Does the metal that covers your rib cage area hurt you?"

"What?" He asked confused. I pulled up a diagram of a body and pointed out where the metal would be. "How did you know about that?" He asked, tensing up a bit.

"The scanner picked up on it."

"Through my clothes?"

"Yeah," I said, laughing.

"Wow," he said quietly.

"Does it hurt you, Buck?" I asked again.

"Not really? It feels weird, but I've lived with it for so long now, so I'm used to it."

"Would you mind if we removed it and replaced it with a lighter, thinner version?" I asked. "It provides more support than you think it does."

"Sounds good," he said smiling at me.

"Okay so," I started. "I'll need to get a hold of Jess—Dr. Adams to do that procedure," I said to myself, writing it down.

"Wait, you're not going to do it?" He asked. I looked up at him and saw worry written all over his face.

"Sorry, honey, no. I'm not qualified to do that," I said, shocking myself when I called him "honey."

"Will I get to meet who's going to do it?"

"Of course," I said, smiling at him. "She's a good friend of mine. You'll be in good hands." I tried to reassure him.

"Will you be in there with me?" He asked, quietly.

"I'll try my hardest to be." I heard him take a deep breath.

"Okay," he said. "When will we do this?"

"Right now I only have the design, and I'm still working on figuring out what metal I'd like to use. I also need to figure out the wiring of the whole thing before we do this, or you'll be without an arm for a while."

"Can we do it as soon as possible?" He asked quickly. "I don't want to give myself time to change my mind."

"I'll run it past Tony and Cap," I said, writing down a note to remind myself later. "After your procedure's done, I'm not sure how long it will take to completely heal. It looks like there's no arm left at all, so if we insert the plating and make it angled, then we can attach the socket to the plating, and then the arm to the socket. If it fails, which it might, then we can attach a different thing to the plating." He looked pretty confused, but nodded with me. "I need you to know that it might not work, and that there are a bunch of risks with this."

"I understand," he said. "So you'll completely remove everything from this arm?"

"Everything," I said with a smile. "You said you hated everything about it, so we're getting rid of everything."

"And replacing it with your technology?"

"Yep, you're going to have to get a new arm from someone else when you decide you don't like me like everyone else," I joked, and he looked less than amused.

"But you're amazing, Dais," he said and I could feel my face burn up. "Nobody doesn't like you."

"It was just a fun little self deprecating joke," I said, laughing cautiously. "Anyway," I said, changing the subject. "I'll run it past Tony and Steve, figure out what kind of metal I'll be using, make it the same shape as your old one, notify Dr. Adams, set up a consultation, and then we should be able to do this thing," I said, writing everything down on a to-do list. "One last thing," I said, looking up from my notes. "The scanner didn't completely get the plate, can you take off your shirt so I can scan and measure it properly?"