Chapter 5

I trembled at somebody's chilly voice. Apparently dragged by her, he looked around, frowning deeply. Suddenly, he fixed his eyes on me with irritation and disdain. His cool eyes seemed to ask me if I was going to dare to ruin the party for her, which made me shrink back.

"I'm honored to see the Sun of the Empire, Your Majesty."

"I'm honored to see the Moon of the Empire, Your... Oops!"

Oh my goodness! I didn't want to show my ugliness to him, but I spaced out because I felt nauseated. Colorful lights and various colors were going round and round before my eyes. I felt like I would vomit what I had in the morning, so I took a deep breath to calm down somehow.

Duke Lars, looking at him and me alternately, stepped forward. After looking at the empress coldly, he reluctantly smiled at her.

"Congratulations, Your Majesty!"

"Congratulations?"

"I'm not sure yet, but I think she is pregnant. If it's true, it's certainly something you have to celebrate. As you know, there have only been a few offspring in the imperial family from generation to generation. Indeed, this is a big event for celebration."

"Pregnant?"

Am I pregnant? He looked at me with surprise, but Duke Lars was faintly smiling. Some looked at me with joy, some with astonishment, and others with incredulousness and anger.

At that moment, someone squatted down with a scream. The tiara that had decorated her dark hair rolled down to the floor. She was now looking up at me blankly.

Her arrogant attitude beat me. Can't she feel others looking at her with disdain and contempt?

I couldn't find any trace of pride and dignity as the most noble woman in the empire.

The emperor hugged her, who flopped down, and raised her up. Then he immediately smiled lightly at me. I was thrilled at his first smile at me. My heart began to pound when I thought that he might care for me a little more than before.

"It looks like you're pregnant. What a happy event!"

"I'm honored to hear that, Your Majesty."

My heart was thrilled at his unexpected words and actions for a moment, but as soon as I met his eyes, I quickly realized that he didn't say that because he was genuinely happy.

He is the ruler of the Castina Empire with a population of 20 million. Just like me who received training as the emperor's wife, he received more rigorous education as the only successor of the emperor as soon as he was born. Obviously, he, the only heir to the empire, was speaking to me warmly, conscious of my family and factions, based on his logical thinking. I could confirm it in his cold eyes, contrary to his lips with a warm smile.

"Isn't it great that I came to hear you're pregnant on the one-year anniversary of her crowning as the empress? I'm so happy."

The nobles around him bowed and shouted congratulations to the emperor.

"Congratulations, Your Majesty! "

But I could not show any reaction because of his chilly and confusing gaze on me.

I could not take my eyes off his cold eyes and her eyes mixed with jealousy and treachery.

Looking at me for a while, he said with a voice that contained no emotion at all, "It looks like you don't feel well. Why don't you go and take a break?"

"Yes, Your Majesty. Let me leave now."

"Although I should escort you to your residence, I can't leave his place as today's host. So, please understand me. I will see you soon."