10 - Chloe

CHLOE

"HEELLLPPP!!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. Thanks to my field and track routine, I could run fast without getting tired.

But, just like Neil said, no one would be around. It was just trees. I didn't even know where I came from as I just ran and ran away, even though the surrounding was getting dark. That was so stupid of me—if I just followed the path that the car made, I would've reached the road by now.

Stopping in the middle of nowhere, I could hear whisperings.

"Help meeee!!!" I screamed again. "I'm hereeee! Help!"

The bushes rumbled. I thought someone else was nearby, but the sound came behind me. When I turned around, it was too late—Ruby had tackled me to the ground.

While I was surprised that she could catch up with me this fast, I tried to scream again, but she quickly held me down to the ground and put her hand over my mouth. My scream turned muffled. I struggled to get free but her other hand quickly held both of my hands over my head.

"Sssshhhh!" She menacingly shushed me. There was a bleeding scar near her left eyebrow—the one I just gave her when I was running away.

I could hear a faint conversation from afar. There were indeed other people around here.

"You hear anything?" asked one of them.

I tried to move and make a sound, but Ruby's grip was getting tighter. Her body pinned me harder to the ground, and at this point, I was afraid to move.

My whole body was shaking. Sure, unlike her brother, Ruby didn't bring any weapon. But, she was so strong even with her bare hands. This thought scared me a little and it made my vision of her alert face a bit blurry.

The voices faded. They were walking away and there went my chance of freedom.

Ruby loosened her grips. She noticed my glistened eyes and removed her hand on my mouth.

"Please just let me go home," I quivered.

She slowly released my hands as well. "You will go home, just not now."

Suddenly, there was a sound of twigs cracked not far from here.

"Hello? Is someone here?"

Another person! I was ready to shoot another scream for help, but Ruby was quick and agile. Before I could even say 'H', she immediately shut my mouth—with hers.

Her cold lips crashed into mine. I was too shocked to react, but my first instinct was to push her away. She grabbed my wrists with each of her hands and pinned them to the ground. I kept reassure myself that I didn't want to lose in this fight—but apparently, I lost in the kiss.

My feet stopped kicking, my hands stopped trying to free themselves from the grips, my fists unclenched. My body eventually succumbed as Ruby slightly moved her lips, parting mine to capture my bottom lips.

Her warm breath gave me a sense of ease. There was no other sound as the person went away again, except my pounding heart, trying to break the flesh around it.

Ruby pulled away and I finally opened my eyes, not ready to forget the fact that we just shared a kiss in the middle of a forest. Her hazel eyes stared at mine. I was holding my breath as our faces were inches away

"Get up before Neil comes here," she said while getting up. She brushed off some dirt from her clothes, and her firm hands pulled me from the ground.

I couldn't say anything, not even asking what just happened. I knew even Ruby didn't seem like she wanted to discuss it on our way back to the cabin.

Dragging me inside, Ruby stopped as we found Neil loading his gun. Seeing her sister held me back in her captive, he clenched his jaw.

"You little bitch!" He shouted. He yanked and pushed me to the wall, shoving his gun to my neck.

"Neil!" Ruby tried to stop him, but he didn't budge.

"You think you're so clever, huh?" Neil pushed the tip of the gun deeper, cocking the gun. "Don't you know? Your father had only sent a quarter of the deal. How would he feel if I only send a quarter of his daughter?"

I started to cry. "No, please..."

"No need for that, Neil. I got her," said Ruby.

Neil's eyes, full of hatred, were staring deep at mine. "Don't get me fueled up," he warned and finally released me.

Ruby took me to the room where I was held after giving her brother a death glare.

"You might want to tie her a bit tighter," Neil advised.

"I don't need your input," said Ruby crudely.

Closing the door, Ruby pushed me to one of the chairs in the room.

"Ruby—" I tried to speak.

"Shut up!" She cut, but not loud enough for Neil to hear.

She took the rope on the floor, pulled both of my hands to the back of the chair, and tied them just like Neil's request.

"Ruby, I—"

Ruby grabbed my chin and lifted it sternly.

"You better keep your mouth shut," threatened Ruby. She picked up the cloth that used to gag my mouth from the floor as well. She put it around my face and tied it behind my head. "You're lucky because it wasn't Neil who came after you."

The fear crept up again. I nodded slowly, not daring to even make a little sound. Ruby left the room, slamming the door behind her.