11 - Ruby

RUBY

I hissed when Neil put an alcohol on my scar with a cotton. It was a small graze, but the pain sure stung deeply.

"Stay put," he ordered. After cleaning the scar, he covered it with a band-aid. "Now, you're good as new."

I sighed as I took a big gulp from a vodka bottle on the table.

"Hey, that's mine!" complained Neil. "It was the last bottle. And your wound isn't that big for you to drink it up."

"Buy another one," I mumbled through my lips. It had been a long time since I drank, but my head was so messed up that I felt half a bottle wasn't enough. "Neil... You don't need to do that."

"Should I just leave your forehead bleeding then?" Neil rolled his eyes as he put everything back to the first-aid kit box.

"I mean, pointing your gun around like that."

Neil chuckled. "Okay, now, you're taking her side."

"I'm not taking anyone's side. I can handle her. Violence is not the answer," I explained.

"Yeah, sure, that explains why she could easily go away from your watch," Neil snapped sarcastically.

"I was a bit distracted," I sighed. "Liv called and she recognized me from the pictures that the police put up in the media. Sooner or later, people will know it's me, they'll make a connection to you, and... we're screwed up, Neil."

I could see how hard Neil was trying to contain his anger. At this point, we couldn't blame each other. I let Liv know my disguise and Neil accidentally told her about a cabin. Liv wasn't a bright person to begin with, but she would sure notice that something was off.

"That reminds me, I should call her and explain," I said, but Neil grabbed my hand.

"Too much explanations would stir more drama. It's Olivia Edwards we're talking about. If that crazy bitch is not getting over you any time soon, she would definitely try to find the so-called cabin," Neil remarked. "Or worse, she'll call the police."

"She won't call the police on me." I didn't know why I would be so sure, but I was. Liv was too in love with me to put me in trouble. If anything, she would ask for something in return. And I knew exactly what it was.

"No," Neil quickly disagreed as if he could read my mind. "The one time you can finally get away from her, is also the time when you're gonna let her back into your life?"

"It's just sex, she will shut up." I took my jacket and put it on.

"She doesn't care about sex, Ruby—you do," Neil blocked my way. "She wants to live happily ever after with you. And I'm not gonna risk having a crazy sister-in-law for this mission to be kept safe."

I sighed in aggravation. "Then you better tell that fucking doctor to send us the rest of the money, or they'll never see their daughter again."

Neil smirked. "That's the spirit."

--

In the end, I called Liv to explain everything. I told her that it was indeed a misunderstanding—it was a teacher named Lila Decker, not Ruby Cortese. She was dumb enough to believe it, after I said, "If you love me, you would have trusted me."

Maybe I was the crazy bitch.

I'd never thought I'd use someone for my own gain. I guessed my father's death really messed me up. I was actually thinking of just aborting the whole plan since Chloe seemed softened towards me. But that escaping attempt was unforgivable—after all I did to put her at ease.

Yeah. Maybe that stupid kiss was one of them.

When I pressed my lips on Chloe's, I actually wasn't thinking of anything. It was a quick action so that she wouldn't have screamed for help—but it became something that apparently she didn't mind with.

Sleeping for only two hours, I woke up and went to the room where we kept Chloe. I found Neil ready to go to work, with his coffee and toast on the table.

"Toast?" He asked.

I shook my head. "Just water. For the girl."

"You know what, let's give her a small punishment for trying to escape last night," suggested Neil. "Maybe no food or drink for a day?"

I took a glass and let the tap water fill it. "I'll think about it," I replied. "I'm just gonna give her water for now."

While Neil went back to his toast, I entered the room and closed the door. Chloe, tied up to the chair, was still sleeping. Her head drooped weakly, her brunette hair that looked damp fell in front of her face. Parts of her clothes and skin were stained with dirt after her struggles yesterday. She looked 'punished' already, I couldn't imagine if we didn't give her food for the day.

I grabbed another chair and placed it in front of her. I reached for her head slowly, but her eyes sprung open as soon as I tried to move it slightly. She was taken aback. If she wasn't tied to the chair, she would've jumped back.

"Hey, hey, ssshhh," I tried to calm her, who made a muffled cry. "I'm just giving you water. Okay?"

She looked at the glass I was holding and gave a small nod. I pulled down the gag and let her drink from the glass. When she was done, some water splashed to her lips and chin. I wiped it down using my hand.

Trailing her lips with my thumb, my mind couldn't help but go back to the kiss. I could feel the shape of her lips beneath mine, and my thumb just confirmed it.

Her green eyes stared at me longingly and I pulled my hand away. I didn't expect such reaction from her, that's why I was a bit surprised.

"I'm sorry," she said with a hoarse voice.

I was moving the chair and startled to hear her voice. "For what?"

"I hurt you yesterday, didn't I? When trying to escape?"

The pain above my left eye suddenly stung. "I'm fine," I quickly said. All I remembered about her escape yesterday was... her lips.

"Did I get you in trouble?" She asked again, startling me.

The sound of Neil's car was heard and it gradually went away.

"I'm the one in charge around here, so the only one who would get into trouble is you—if you ever pulled that again," I said softly but threatening to her ears.

"I won't try to escape again, I promise," she spoke again in a rush, before I put the gag back. "But... why did you do that?"

I felt my heart beat louder and louder and my blood rushed the moment I knew that she was talking about the kiss. I should've gagged her sooner—but now that I heard it, I couldn't deny it.

"It didn't mean anything," I snapped, putting the cloth back. She struggled a bit, but eventually let me cover her mouth.

Our eyes met and we looked at each other for a moment.

"Unless... it meant something for you," I said with a low voice.

Her pupils dilated. She was trembling over my question, but didn't dare to nod or shake her head.

Oh, crap. It does.

Images flashed on my mind, and it was mostly full of Liv looking earnestly at me. It changed so fast to Chloe—in the forest and now in front of me. They had the same... desirous look.

I stepped backward. "It was nothing," I emphasized. "Don't read much into it."