His Apology

9/17/20
(A/N : I feel bad that this book went untouched for two freaking years, so here's a spicy little apology gift for y'all. This was inspired by the idea and reasoning behind my random inactivities with my books. If you pay close attention to word choice and whatever, you should see what I mean.)

You were sitting outside of Kirby's—more like Tokkori's—cute little house on his hill, watching the pink puffball playing a few feet in front of you. Tuff and some of the other Cappy children were playing along with him. After all, it was a ridiculously nice day outside. Sunny, few clouds, bright blue sky, and warm weather. Not too hot to cause sweaty discomfort, but not so cool as to have a tad brisk. Perfect warm weather that made you almost want to fall asleep peacefully.

"Quiet down!" Tokkori screeched. "I'm tryna catch some shut eye!"

"Oh, Tokkori." You rolled your eyes playfully. "They're just playing!"

"Well they can go play somewhere else!"

You laughed at the yellow bird. "Leave them be. They're only kids, after all!" Lifting up the entire bowl of fruit sitting beside you, which you had brought with you to enjoy as you kept watch over the children, you rose to your feet and stopped at the base of the tree. "But between you and me, if you leave them alone for today, this is all yours!"

"Hmm. You know what? The kids aren't a problem at all!" Tokkori smiled, picking up the bowl of fruit in his talons. "If they need me, I'll just be inside!" And with that, he flew into the tiny house.

You gently shook your head, a smile playing on your face. "Silly bird."

"(Y/N)?" A rough yet feminine voice spoke from behind you. You turned to see Tiff standing there, a book in hand as always. "What are you doing here?"

Sitting back down in the grass, you hummed, "I'm watching the kids! Tuff didn't know where you had gone off to, so I offered to watch them in your place." Sending her a slightly worried look, you added, "I hope that's okay."

"Thanks, (Y/N)! I really appreciate it!" Tiff smiled, sitting down beside you. "I was just trying to find a new book to start reading and I guess I got caught up with all my choices."

Normally, the conversation would stop somewhere around there. However, you noticed Tiff never once touched the book again once she sat it in her lap upon sitting down beside you. In fact, her fingers weren't even itching to start flipping through its pages. Instead, Tiff sat in awkward silence, her expression alone giving away her deep inner contemplation.

"What's up? Something on your mind?"

Tiff hesitated before starting with, "Um, I don't mean to pry, but...." She fiddles with her fingers, a small blush of embarrassment coming to her face as she purposely avoided your curious gaze. "How have you been doing?"

"Perfectly fine, of course!" You smiled genuinely.

"No, I mean.... Are you dealing with things alright? You aren't sad or lonely or anything, right?"

"What do you mean, Tiff?" You lied through your teeth with a now forced smile. "Why would I be sad or-"

Tiff stood up in a huff, slightly raising her voice as she began to scold you. "Stop trying to pretend that you're okay, (Y/N)! We all know that you aren't!" By this point, Kirby and the other kids were watching the conversation unfold. "Admit it! You haven't been the same since he disappeared! So why are you constantly lying to yourself with that fake smile stuck to your face?"

Your expression never faltered, your eyes shut with a large, obnoxiously fake smile glued to your face. Although you tried to keep a sweet and happy expression, your slanted eyebrows gave everything away. Curved upward with pain and guilt, you quietly replied, "Because what else can I do at this point?"