The × First × Phase

The hunter exam was full of applicants coming from the four corners of the globe, trying to get their chances of becoming a hunter. Well, they can hope. Only the strongest could make it. Am I in that category? I don't know.

The elevator I am in finally stops and the doors opened, revealing a tunnel filled with people. I was given a tag and was told to never lose it. It had the number 72 on it.

I don't know how many applicants there were gonna be, so I sat in a corner, observing everyone. There was #44, who looked kinda strong and gave me chills, #53 that looked average, and #16 that gave juices to everyone. He even proposed to me to have one, but I declined. He looked mad when I said no, for some reason. But, heh, whatever, he's not my problem.

Sometime later, after the arrival of #403, #404, #405 and #44 (apparently called Hisoka) cutting off the arms of someone, one of the walls opened, showing a longer tunnel and a man...without a mouth? Weirdo.

Satotz was his name and he was gonna lead us to phase 2. I was fine with that. Running wasn't a problem for me.

I removed my red jacket and wrapped it around my waist, so it'll be easier to finish the run. The only problem is that I don't know how much time it'll take. It can be 50km as much as 200. After all, it's the hunter exam we're talking about.

"Hey! Wait up, kid!" I heard a man yell. So loud. Way to ruin my mood.

I looked at the direction of the culprit. It was #403, an old man with spiky brown hair and small glasses. He was screaming at a younger child, probably my age, with blue eyes and white fluffy hair because he was using a skateboard.

What was wrong with that though? Satotz-san only told us to follow him. A green-haired boy interposed himself. Well, I'll let him handle it. But I was glad to see I'm not the only kid here.

Arriving at the 60km mark, some random guys approached me. They probably wanted to discourage me. Surely because I'm a rookie. Well, I'd like to see them try.

"Hey child." one of them said, "This is not a place for little girls like you, go back home or you might end up killed."

I ignored him and ran a bit faster.

"Oi, are you ignoring me? I said go back home playing with your dolls, this is a job for tough guys, not a kid's especially not a girl!"

I slowed down. I think I should teach these guys a lesson. Because I'm a girl doesn't mean I'm weak, that's just sexist. Same thing with the doll comment, not all girls like dolls.

I took my dagger hidden in one of my pockets and threw it at him. Of course, I didn't intend to kill him. Just to scare these guys a little and show them I'm not weak. I knocked them out and picked up my weapon.

Everyone was ahead of me, I was isolated from the rest. I couldn't afford to lose the first phase, so I ran faster until I reached the group.

Satotz-san announced the 80km mark and I could see some stairs. That means it's almost the end. Probably in 10 to 20km. I can bear this long. I just hardly broke a sweat.

I climbed the stairs 2 by 2, trying not to fall. I always did this at home. Thinking about home, I should send Katsuro a letter. Knowing him, if I don't interact with him soon, he'll think I'm dead and panic.

I could finally see the exit. I finally catched up to the rest of the group. Many people were left behind. I don't know if they could make it in time.

"Ne, Satotz-san, is this the second phase?" I asked him.

"No, we still have quite a way to go."

I was standing near him and looked at my surroundings. A forest covered in fog was standing a few meters away from us. I wonder what was hidden behind this mist. Maybe something to complicate the exam, because for now, it wasn't that hard.