Chapter 14

January 18, 1957

Wake up baby girl, Jackie said.

It's early mommy, Charlie said as she rubs the sleep out of her eyes.

Ik baby girl, but we have to go with Daddy to Kansas City for his speech, Jackie said.

Jackie helps her daughter into a warm outfit.

( The Plane )

Charlie and Dylan were sleep again after they ate.

Jack was reading a newspaper.

Jackie was sitting by him.

There you go, Jackie said as she covers her and Jensen up.

So anyone won't see her feeding her baby.

Minutes later. Jackie fixes her top and moves her son over to her shoulder as she pats his back.

Burp.

Good job, Jackie said as she wipes his mouth.

Jensen look at her before he finally closes his eyes and went to sleep.

Mr. and Mrs.Kennedy, We are about land, The pilots said.

Jackie was walking down the stairs with Jensen in her arms.

Jack was behind her, he was holding Charlie and Dylan's hands as they walk down the stairs.

The Paparazzi was going crazy and taking pictures of the Kennedy family.

One of them got close to charlie and started to take pictures of her.

Daddy, I'm scared, Charlie said as she hides her face in Jack's suit.

Shh. It's going to be okay, I'm not going to let anything happen to you, Jack said.

Jackie had Jensen in her arms. Charlie and Dylan were beside her while Jack was giving his speech.

I am delighted to be in New York tonight, not only because my family has close ties with this city, but also because I feel strongly the bonds of a common kinship with this distinguished organization. All of us of Irish descent are bound together by the ties that come from common experience, experience which may exist only in memories and in legend, but which is real enough to those who possess it. And thus whether we live in Cork or in Boston, in New York or in Sydney, we are all members of a great family which are linked together by that strongest of chains – a common past. It is strange to think that the wellspring from which this great fraternal empire has sprung is but a small island in the far Atlantic with a population only a fraction of the size of this empire state. But this is the source, and it is this green and misty island to the east that we honor here tonight – honoring it particularly, I have in mind, for its devotion to human liberty.

I do not maintain that the Irish were the only race to display extraordinary devotion to liberty, or the only people to struggle unceasingly for their national independence. History proves otherwise. But the special contribution of the Irish, I believe – the emerald thread that runs throughout the tapestry of their past – has been the constancy, the endurance, the faith that they displayed through endless centuries of foreign oppression – centuries in which even the most rudimentary religious and civil rights were denied to them – centuries in which their mass destruction by poverty, disease, and starvation was ignored by their conquerors.