Chapter 1: Mr. Asshole

*EDITED*

I almost hit him.

The guy on a red motorcycle, whizzing around the roundabout like he owned it, had the audacity to stop and flip me the finger when I didn't brake fast enough. Even though it wasn't my fault he was exceeding the speed limit. This flows better The guy on his red motorcycle whizzing around the roundabout like he owned it.

He had the audacity to stop and flip me the finger when I didn't brake fast enough, even though it wasn't my fault he was exceeding the speed limit.

What an asshole.

Not to mention, his hideous, neon green mohawk helmet he wore that didn't match his bike at all.

At least I didn't hit him.

After slowing my racing heart, I continued home, taking a different route, driving slowly down the familiar roads, triple checking for motorcyclists. When I drive past my old high school, I'm reminded of why I don't take this route home anymore.

Ryan, my older brother, was always the popular one surrounded by friends. I used to be envious until he noticed, and suddenly, he was filled with great ideas that involved me stepping outside of my comfort zone. I instantly regretted every time I complained at the dinner table.

Saturday morning, I was volunteering my time and dignity by standing at the entrance of my high school wearing a bright smile and sleepy eyes. My best and only friend, Emily, stood beside me. We did everything together, and so when Ryan proposed starting a new welcoming committee, I had to drag her along. No way was I doing it alone.

He usually stood with us by the entrance, but not today. Instead, he was touring a college with Dad near our house. He'd be leaving for college next fall, and I would be the new president of the welcoming committee. Therefore, Emily and I took charge of the front entrance, where we had to greet everyone who would be starting school the following Monday. We weren't alone, and a few more students were inside manning different hallways.

This morning was different because for once, there was a cute guy walking in my direction, instead of Emily's,with a big, goofy grin, messy, brown hair that swayed with every step, and big, chocolate brown eyes. Totally my type.

His eyes flickered to my name badge before clearing his throat. "Hi there, Celine. Name's Aidan, and it appears I'm more lost than I thought I would be. Could you point me to the sophomore lockers?" He ran a hand through his shaggy hair.

"Bee!" Emily bumped into my side, pretending to squeal, but I knew better. She was the only girl I knew that wasn't scared of bugs, especially bees.

"Hey Aidan., Wwelcome to Heritage Prep! I would love to show you where the sophomore lockers are; it's a bit tricky to explain. Celine, on the other hand, is a pro," Emily said as she nudged me him.

I turned, walking through the big, green, double doors for the school, shooting a glare at Emily, who only winked in response.

"Not very talkative, are you?" Aidan asked, his shoulder brushing mine as we walked through the empty hallway.

"Not really. Pretty shy actually." I played with the ring on my right middle finger, turning it around to ease my nerves.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm shy, too. I had to leave my other school because of bullying. I needed a fresh start." I stopped in the sophomore hall, turning to look at him.

"I'm sorry; that's awful. I hope you have a better experience here." I ran a hand through my hair, pushing a fallen lock out of my face.

"It's already better. I'm talking to a pretty girl before school starts, and I'm hoping I'll convince her to be my friend by the time I leave." My cheeks flame, and heat creeps up my neck at the compliment. This was a first.