Chapter Four: Into the Storm

*EDITED*

I wrapped my arms tightly around Aidan. Why did he have to agree to this? "Don't let go, baby." His voice is muffled by his helmet. I squeeze him a little tighter, my thighs gripping his with my feet resting on the perch he built for me.

What would my parents think about this? What would his parents think? He promised his dad he would never race. He swore to respect the roads. He swore to keep me safe.

We would be okay. We would win the race and go to our movie. He would kiss me during the movie and hold my hand. We would laugh, and everything would go back to normal.

If only I'd known. I wish I hadn't pushed for that movie. Maybe Aidan would still be here if I hadn't begged.

"Aidan, please, I'm scared." I hope he can hear me over the revving of the bike. I should've known he wouldn't listen to me. I should've known to never get on a bike when the roads are wet.

"Don't worry, baby, I know what I'm doing." No, he didn't. If he knew, he wouldn't have accepted the race. He wouldn't have put us in danger. He wouldn't be dead.

"I don't want to do this. I want to get off. Aidan, please." I hope he can hear the fear in my voice, but I don't think he'll let me off the bike. He would never leave me on the side of the road by myself.

"I'm not leaving you here. Hold on tight, Celine. I'm not changing my mind." He adjusts his grip on the handles and lowers his head.

He's revving the bike, and it trembles beneath us, the noise making my heart race. The guy beside us pulls off without warning. He's cheating.

Aidan swears and follows right on his tail, leaving my stomach behind at the imaginary line. I hold in a scream, not wanting to distract him. He has to be focused.

It's so dark that I can hardly see. I only hope Aidan can see better with the headlight in front of him. I close my eyes, wishing this would be over already. The wind is pushing against us, and the slick road is splashing at my exposed ankles. I wish I were at home in bed.

Suddenly, there's a loud screech as Aidan brakes too late, and we're thrown from the bike. This time, I can't hold my scream anymore. Aidan is pulled from my tight grasp, and we fly in different directions.

My body hits the ground first, and pain floods through my entire body. My head follows, hitting the road, and I see black.

I struggle to open my eyes. My head is pounding, my body is aching, but I can't move my legs. There's a heavy weight holding them down. It's hot, and I can't take it. Opening my eyes, I scream.

"HELP! Aidan! Help!" His beautiful bike is in flames, and it's pinning me down. I'm going to burn alive.

I'm going to die here. All because he had to race the stupid prick with the better bike.

Why hasn't Aidan helped me? Oh, God, what's happened to him?

"Aidan!" I call his name over and over, screaming in agony as the flames lick my jean-clad legs. I'm going to die here on an abandoned road. I didn't get to tell my mother and father I loved them. I didn't say goodbye to Ryan. I haven't graduated yet.

What happened to the other guy? Didn't he hear us crash? Didn't he see us? Why did he have to race us?

Where's my phone? I need to call for help.

I can't feel my legs. I can't feel my toes. Oh, God, please let me survive this. Aidan still hasn't answered me.

Red and blue lights flash in the distance, and I hear sirens. They're loud and bright. God must've heard me.