Chapter Two: Hurricane

*EDITED*

"Class has been canceled for the rest of the week," Ryan says ten minutes later, lowering the music he'd been blasting since we got in the truck.

"What? Why?" I look at him as he switches lanes.

"The hurricane, idiot." Oh, right.

"Forgot. It's been a long day."

"It's still small – hasn't changed since Dad mentioned it at dinner."

"Well, that's not too bad. We can hunker down at home and binge Friends." We pass by a gas station where the pumps are full and the line of cars waiting to get inside is on the road.

"A lot can change in a few days, Celine. We might have to leave."

Peeking at his gas meter, I notice he has only half a tank. "You might want to pull in for some gas. The lines are only going to get longer."

"You know, this isn't my first hurricane." Nonetheless, Ryan puts his indicator on when we near the next gas station.

"And your asshole friend, what about him? Surely, campus will be sending everyone home?"

"Mom said he can stay with us." He shrugs like it's simple. "And he has his own apartment, by the way."

"Why can't he just stay there then?"

"It's his first hurricane. Mom said he shouldn't be alone in case we lose power. Why do I have to explain everything to you? You aren't a child anymore."

"How could you do this to me?"

"What do you mean, do this to you? He's my friend, Celine."

"He's an asshole, Ryan. And now you want him to stay in our house!"

"Exactly, Celine, our house, not yours. Stop being a bitch for once in your life and be nice. He has nowhere else to go! He has no family!" We're at the pump now, and Mr. Asshole is pulling up next to us on his red bike with that goddamn green Mohawk helmet.

"What do you mean, no family?" I turn back to Ryan as he gets out the truck quickly, slamming the door to end the conversation.

I turn the music up as he fills the truck up while talking to Ace, the two leaning against the tailgate. Ace goes into the store a minute later and comes out holding two red gas cans. Ryan fills those, too and puts them in the back.

He gets in the cab, lowering the music with an eye roll. "You're going to blow my speakers like that." He puts the car in gear and pulls out of the gas station, Ace following closely behind.

"What did you mean by no family, Ryan?"

"I didn't mean to say that. Don't you dare say a word, Celine." He throws me one last glare before turning up the music again.

***

"What's the update on the storm?" I ask the next day, yawning after a long day of work with Dad, Ryan, and Asshole. I take a bite of the spaghetti with a loud slurp, and Mom shakes her head with a scowl.

"They're estimating in a day or two, plenty of time, Hun. I'm waiting for the eleven P.M. advisory to decide if we're staying or going to Georgia." Ryan and Ace have stopped talking and are listening to our conversation.

"You think we'll need to leave? It's only a category three right now I ask looking at my parents. Mom is sitting next to Dad, and they share a look before turning to the three of us.

"They're predicting it will become a category four by the time it hits the Bahamas. It might lessen before it hits us after making landfall, but that's unlikely," Dad says.