3. EVERYTHING CHANGED

| CHAPTER THREE |

EVERYTHING CHANGED.

"YOU LOOK BETTER THAN I remember, Bennett."

Echo let out a shaky breath; one she didn't even realise she was holding in. The teasing look on Sirius' face made her feel at ease. It made her feel more calm. It also made her feel like nothing's changed between them, even though everything has.

"The same goes for you, Black," Echo smirked, finally feeling a bit more like herself, "I like a rugged looking man."

Sirius let out a low chuckle, his hand reaching up to stroke his stubble subconsciously. He had been planning on shaving but it didn't seem like such a necessity. Especially since it's not like he was planning on going out anywhere. Well, certainly not in his human form. 

"So..." He spoke up again, looking at her seriously, "How have you been?"

Echo most certainly wasn't expecting that question. She also wasn't expecting him to be so...civil with her. She was expecting him to be pissed off at her for leaving without saying anything. She expected more questions than just a 'how have you been?'

"I've been okay," The black haired woman answered, "You?"

"As good as a man on the run can be," Sirius replied, sending her a half-smile, one that really didn't seem genuine at all.

Silence fell upon them once again. Echo glanced down at her hands, fiddling with the many rings wrapped around her fingers as Sirius watched her. He couldn't seem to tear his eyes away from the woman. Inspecting every inch of her face. The freckles that were dotted around her nose. The cheekbones that looked sharp enough to cut her enemies with. She had always been beautiful in Sirius' eyes, but now she looked even more so (he really didn't think that was possible until she stepped foot in Grimmauld Place after so long). But, there was a sadness in her eyes. One that seemed to be there even when she forced out a smile.

"So... where did you go?"

This question made Echo's heartbeat quicken, she noticed Remus and Tonks out of the corner of her eye, both of them seemed to be finishing their conversation and glancing over at her and Sirius every few seconds, "America," Echo finally told him, refusing to look him in the eyes.

"I heard about your mum," Sirius informed her, "I'm sorry, I know how close the two of you were."

Echo scoffed, "We weren't close," She spat, her eyes finally landing on Sirius' face, he looked slightly taken aback, "How could you be close with someone who hated the person that you were? That you still are. Who tried to hide you from the world because they were ashamed." They had been close at one point, but everything changed when they moved to America. Everything.

Sirius wanted to ask what had happened, but he also didn't want to intrude. The anger burning in Echo's eyes told him that something bad happened between them, but what?

"She kicked me out," Echo finally informed him, she could read him like a book and she knew he wanted to ask her, but out of politeness he wasn't going to, "I fell in love and she fucking despised that. She went crazy after dad died. Told me everyone was out to get us, that we weren't safe anywhere. So, when she found out I let someone into my life - a woman, nevertheless - she flipped."

Sirius frowned, he saw the pain in Echo's eyes and without saying anything he reached over, placing his much larger palm over hers, "Where did you go?" He asked softly, his voice was like a blanket of nostalgia wrapping Echo up, keeping her warm. It made her feel safe, it made her feel welcomed.

"To my aunt's," The black haired woman revealed, "She was the only person that understood. Of course, Ciara offered for me to live with her and her parents but I couldn't intrude. But maybe if I did then she wouldn't have been..." Echo let out a shaky sigh, "Anyways, I found out about a year ago that mum had Dragonpox. She didn't even tell me, my aunt heard it whilst she was at work and informed me. I tried to go see her, but she turned me away...I didn't even go to the funeral."

Sirius' eyes didn't leave Echo's as she spoke. He watched all the emotions flashing through her eyes, hurt, anger, guilt. She had gone through a lot after moving away, that much was extremely obvious. But she was back now, and Sirius was going to make sure that she felt more than welcomed. It the least she deserved.

"Where are you staying at?" He suddenly asked, the question catching her off guard.

"Oh, erm...a hotel nearby," She lied. Truthfully she didn't have anywhere to stay, her plan was to go back to her old childhood home, hoping that it was empty and squat in there.

Sirius shook his head, "I've got a spare room, you're staying here."

Echo's eyes widened in shock. She hadn't been expecting him to welcome her back with open arms. She hadn't been expecting anyone to welcome her back like that. She left without a goodbye, she was expecting for him to want more answers, to be more annoyed at her. But he wasn't. He just sat there, looking at her with a reassuring smile.

"Oh, I couldn't possibly do that--"

"Of course you could," Sirius cut her off, "This is practically your home anyways."

Echo bit her lip. Tearing her eyes away from Sirius, she looked at the other end of the table. It seemed that Tonks wasn't there anymore, but Remus still was. When he noticed her looking, he sent her a reassuring smile and a nod. She couldn't help but smile back at him, Remus always had an infectious smile, one that could brighten anyone's day. Even though they definitely weren't as close as herself and Sirius, Echo was still great friends with Remus (and the rest of the Marauders) and saw comfort in them all.

"You could finally meet Harry," Sirius' voice brought her back to reality.

Echo turned back to face the black haired man, her heart fluttering at the look on his face. With a sigh she nodded, "Okay, okay, I'll stay."