𝙾𝙽𝙴

THE MAP

CAIRO, EGYPT  - 1926

Kara croft decided to head back home to Egypt and visit her little sister Evelyn, who works at the Cairo Museum of antiques. She made her way in, as she walked in she heard a commotion as if someone was getting scolded. And as she walked deeper into the library she saw her sister looking down while the curator was scolding her.

"Who needs smart women? I put up with you because your mother and father were our finest patrons. Allah rest their souls. Now your sister is our finest patron. Now straighten up this mess!" he orders. "Becareful how you speak to my sister" she states as she stands straight in front of him.

"My apologies" he says before leaving the sisters. "Kara!" Evy yells as she hugs her sister. "Hello, Evy" she says to her sister. "Don't worry baby sis. I'll help you clean up this mess" she said as she points at the mess Evy made. "Forget this! I missed you, Kara! Tell me what adventures you had this past years!" Evy said excitedly. Before Kara could reply they hear a noice in the other room. "Hello?" Evy says.

"Evy, if someone is hidding they won't answer" Kara said with a smirk. Both girls start walking towards the noise. "Abdul? Mohammed? Bob?" Eve calls out. Kara looks at Evy. "Bob?" she asks with a 'seriously' look. Kara grabs a torch and looks around. "Stay there, Evy" she tells her sister who nods.

Kara sees one of the sarcophagus is open while the other ones are close. "Evy? Is this supposed to be open?" she asks but Evelyn shakes her head no. Evy runs to her sisters side, Kara hands her the torch before she gets closer to the sarcophagus. A mummy sits up and schreehes, Evy screams and drops the torch but Kara catches it before it hits the floor. Evy jumps to her sisters arms who hugs her with one arm.

They hear someone laughing from inside the sarcophagus. Kara rolls her eyes. "You can come out now, Jonathan" she calls out. Evy sees her brothers head and gets angry because he scared her. "You... You!" she starts but stops as she tries to find the right words. "Drunkard? Fool? Rat-bastard? Please call me something orignal" Jonathan says. Evy pulls the cigarette out of the mummy's mouth.

"Have you no respect from the dead?" Evy asks. "Right now, I only wish to join them" her older brother replies. Evy punches him hard in the chest. "That can be arranged" Kara says. Jonathan finally gets out and hugs his older sister first. "Kara! I've missed you" he states happily. "I missed you too little brother" she replies with a smile. "Well I wish you'd do it sooner rather than later, before you ruin my career the way you ruined yours" Evy says to her brother. "Evelyn" Kara says in a scolding manner. 

"My dear, sweet, baby sister, I'll have you know, that at this moment my career is on a high note" Jonathan tells Evy. "High note? Ha! Jonathan please, I'm not really in the mood for you. I've just made a bit of a mess in the library and the Bembridge schoolars have rejected my application again" Evy says the last part sadly. "They say I don't have enough experience in the field" she adds.

Kara walks up to her sister and sits next to her. Evy leans on Kara's shoulder. "You'll always have us old mum" Jonathan says as he grabs her sisters hand and Kara nods in agreement. "Besides I have just the thing to cheer you up" Jonathan says as he starts looking through his jacket. "No, not another worthless trinket" Evy starts. "If I have to take one more piece of junk to the curator to try and sell for you"  Jonathan pulls out a small ancient box.

Kara instantly snatches it out of his hand. "Where did you get this?" Evy asks as Kara starts to play with it. He grinned knowing he had stolen it form someone. "On a dig, down on Thebes" Kara rolls the box around her hands, mumbling to herself as she translates the box. "My whole life I've never found anything. Kars, tell me I've found something" Jonathan says. Like her brother Eve waits for an answer.

Kara's plays with the box, shifing it in different directions, it's like a puzzle boxs. Then suddenly, it unfolds itself, turning itself into a key. Sitting inside the open key/box it's folded piece of paper. A map of some sorts. "Guys?" she calls out to her siblings as she looks at the box. "Yes?" they replied. "I think Jonathan found something" Kara replies and Jonathan smiles.

CURATOR'S OFFICE

The curator sits at his desk, staring through the jewelers eyepiece at the box. Evelyn hovers behind him, excited. Kara smiles at her sisters exciemnt. "See the cartouche there, it's the offical rotal seal of Seti the First. Right Kara?" Evy asked her sister who nods. Jonathan knew that all Kara wanted to do was make him and their little sister happy. But Eve was right about the information. "Perhaps" the curator replied. Thre was something odd about him. Kara's insticts were kicking him, he was hidding something.

Jonathan leans in from across the desk. "Two questions. Who the hell is Seti the First? And was he rich?" he asks. Kara rolls her eyes at her brothers questions. She looked at Evelyn for her answer. "He was the last Pharaoh of the Old Kingdom" Evy told her brother. "It was said to be wealthiest Pharaoh of them all" Kara added. Jonathan smiled at the answered. "Alright, good, that's good. I like this fellow. I like him very much" Jonathan states. Kara smiles at her brothers happy moment. A thing about Kara, she rarely smiles unless it was her brother or sister or a great discovery.

The curator picks up the map to inspect it closely. "We've already date it, this map is almost four thousand years old" Evy says. "It's Hamunaptra" Kara says loud enough for everyone to hear. The curator freezes and looks nervous but he quickly recovers. That doesn't go unnoticed by Kara. "My dear Kara, don't be ridiculous, we are scholars, not treasure hunters. Hamunaptra is a myth" the curator says as he looks at Kara. Kara scoffs. "My big sister is actually both" Evy said with a grin. "You know I've found things people thought were myths" Kara states and her siblings look at her as if saying explain but she ignores them.

"Are we talking about the Hamuaptra?" Jonathan asks. "Yes, Jonathan! Isn't this exciting?!" Evy asked practically jumping in excitement. "Yes. The city of The Dead. Where the early Pharaohs were said to have hidden the wealth of Egypt" Evy added. "Everybody knows the story. The entire necropolis was rigged to sink into the sand. On Pharaohs command, a flick of the switch! And the whole place could disapper beneath the dunes" Kara explained the story.

"All we know is that the city mysteriously vanished around 2, 134 B.C." Kara adds. As she turns back to the curator who holds the map close to the candle and it caught on fire. "Oops" he says as he drop the map. Jonathan and Evelyn quickly rushed to put it out. "As the Americans would say: It's all fairy tales and hokum" he adds and Kara holds herself from punching him. "You burned it!" Evy yells. "You burned off the part of the lost city!" Jonathan yells at the curator. "It's for the best, I'm sure. Many men have wasted their lives in the foolish pursuit of Hamunaptra, no one has ever found it, most have never returned" curator says as his excuse.

Kara lets out and irritated groaned that lets her siblings know that she's getting mad. "You killed my map!" Jonathan says furiously. "It was probably fake anyway. I'm surprised at you, Miss Croft, to be so fooled" he says as he stares at her. Kara walks towards him and takes the box/key from him before he takes it himself. He gives her a angry look. She walks away. "Jonathan, Evy. Let's go" she calls out and they walk out. Jonathan and Evy look disappointed. "We're gonna find our way there" she says. "Promise?" Evy asks like a little kid. "Yes. I promise, Evy" she replies and her siblings know she doens't break her promises.

(I made Kara older than both just cause I feel like it fits her)