Prologue

Imagine the surprise on Miss (Y/L/N)'s face that Friday afternoon when an official from the UK's only wizarding school visited their humble Yorkshire B&B to tell her that her daughter was, in fact, a witch. A whole new underground world she had previously never known existed had just been opened to her; and the daughter that she had raised to one day take over the family business, was now instead to be plucked from their quaint village, and trained in real life magic. She couldn't help but wonder what her dad would say if he knew, IF he knew; and how this might change the lives of the single mother and her only child.

'This is all a bit overwhelming.' she finally managed to say.

'Well that's understandable, and should you and your daughter choose to decline the offer, you can go back to your lives as if nothing happened.' explained the slender woman, who was later revealed to be Minerva Mcgonagall, a Professor at the school.

'Mum, please.' the young girl in question's voice chimed in, 'don't take this opportunity away from me. I can still run this place when I get older if that's what you want, but i really really want to go.'

And with that, (Y/N)'s place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was accepted.

——— a few weeks later ———

Mcgonagall arranged for the muggleborn children to be escorted to Diagon Alley, once the bright eyed families had been given a demonstration on how their magical children should be able to enter their first glimpse of the wizarding world, the families were left with their lists to go about their own devices.

'Wow.' Your mother gasped as you wandered the street, stopping to take in the wonders at every shop front, 'I really had no idea any of this existed.'

You beamed with pride, you were a witch, this was your world now. Out of all your old school friends, all your family members, everyone you knew, it was you. You felt like you'd won the lottery, or climbed Mount Everest, or-

CRASH

'Ooops, careful.'

You looked up from the floor, a rather tall boy with ginger hair was smiling down at you, he offered you a hand to help you back onto your feet.

'Looks like she's fallen for you George.' A second ginger boy appeared.

'Sorry! I just got a bit distracted.' You quickly said, feeling a little flustered at having embarrassed yourself in front of the two older boys.

'That's all right,' the first boy said, 'I'm George, this idiot is my brother Fred.'

'Hi, I'm (Y/N)' you reply, 'sorry, I'm just new to all this.... stuff.'

'We can tell.' Fred joked.

'And I'm her mother (Y/M/N).' Your mum suddenly chimes in, you had forgotten all about her presence.

'Oh, yeah, sorry mum.' you apologised.

'Pleasure to meet you.' the boys said in unison.

'Are you boys going to Hogwarts as well? It's my (Y/N)'s first time, perhaps you could keep an eye on her?'

Your face turned a deep shade of magenta, this was so embarrassing. The boys were looking at you with huge smiles across their faces, and.... was that a wink from Fred? They were loving this!

'Of course.' Fred said

'We'll take good care of her, don't worry' added George.

——— a week later ———

'Where on earth are we supposed to find a platform 9 3/4? I've never heard of it.' Your mum complained loudly as you walked along platform 9.

Just around the corner of a column, you were relieved to spot familiar tufts of red hair.

'Excuse me!' You called out, 'do you guys know how to get to the platform?'

'Oh hi (Y/N)' George said with a grin.

'Sure, just follow us!' Fred added.

And with that, the two boys ran full speed towards a column separating platforms 9 and 10, and just as you were sure the boys were about to collide with the brickwork, they disappeared straight through it!

'Oh hello dear, i don't believe we've met,' an older woman with a kind face suddenly caught your attention, 'is it your first year too? Same for my Ron, and Harry here.' Another red haired boy stood by her shoots you an awkward smile.

'I didn't know how to do it either.' Harry said.

On the platform, the air is full of life. In every direction, children saying goodbye to their parents before boarding the huge red train in front, you felt a little anxious.

'Don't worry, you're going to do fine.' Your mum assured you, pulling you in for a tight hug. 'I am so proud of you, write to me as soon as you get there ok?' You nodded in response.

As the train left, you turned to give your mum a final wave goodbye before starting your new adventure. You were hesitant, but you'd done a bit of reading to prepare, and you were so excited to start proving to yourself and to your mum that this was the right decision.

'We promised her we'd take good care of you.' Fred's familiar voice chuckled behind you, startling you

'Why don't you come and sit with us, I bet you've got loads of questions about Hogwarts.' George added

'Plus I bet you're dying to show us the muggle chocolate I saw her slip you before you boarded.' Fred said, nudging you with his elbow.

You laugh and follow the boys to an empty compartment, brimming with questions, you were going to make them work if they wanted some of the dairy milk bar in your pocket.