Year 2 - 2

You were just putting away your books in the library, your history of magic teacher, Professor Binns, had set a huge essay on the history of some old goblin wars that you still didn't quite understand. Normally you weren't one for homework, but not only was Professor Binns incredibly tedious which made his class hard enough to follow as it is; you were sure that a lot of the teachers didn't seem to take into consideration that there were quite a few muggleborns at the school, who didn't automatically understand all of the terminology, and so, you found yourself having to work extra hard to keep up with your peers. You didn't want to give the other members of your house - or anyone for that matter - a reason to think that you were lesser because of your upbringing, and so you had taken to putting in a bit more effort to save face. You were just thinking about the injustice of it all when you heard a commotion from outside the library.

'Everyone. Common. Rooms. Now. Dumbledore. Said. So.' George panted to the librarian, who immediately made an (albeit quiet) announcement to the remaining students that they were to return to their dormitories at once.

'Wow, I think this is the first time I've ever seen you two in a library before, are you lost?' You joked, but the smile on your face faded as you realised that the boys were not laughing. They looked panicked, and were still trying to catch their breath. They must've run the entire length of the castle. 'What's going on? Are you ok?' You asked, now feeling concerned.

'We've been looking everywhere for you, something has happened.' Said Fred.

'Ok, if this is a prank, it's not very funny boys.' You said looking blankly at Fred and George. Rather than return to your common rooms you had headed to an empty classroom, and rolled out the Marauders' Map on a desk to keep an eye on any oncoming teachers.

'Look at the amount of teachers in the hospital wing! And Mrs Norris too!' Said George pointing on the map. He was right. There were a lot of teachers in the hospital wing surrounding Mrs Norris, including the headmaster himself. You sighed. Their story, unfortunately, added up.

'And the writing said -the chamber of secrets has been opened, enemies of the heir beware-?' You asked, the boys nodded, 'What's the chamber of secrets? Who's the heir?'

'We don't know.' Fred sighed, sounding defeated. 'But Malfoy mentioned something about muggleborns being in danger.'

'Though that could just be him being a prat.' Added George.

'We just thought we'd better tell you to be on your guard!' Fred said, putting his hand on your shoulder and giving it a slight squeeze. 'We've gotten quite used to having you around, so don't go getting yourself petrified, alright?'

'I'll try, but I can't promise you anything.' You joked. The tension in the air had lifted. Even in a scary time like this, the twins managed to make light of the situation. It was one of the things you really loved about them.

You bode the Weasley boys goodnight (this time they had both insisted on walking you back to your dormitory first, you assumed this would be a common occurrence now you had a potential muggle-hating lunatic on the loose) and made your way through the portrait to find the Slytherin common room abuzz with noise. You wanted desperately to know more about the Chamber, and what it meant for you and the other muggle borns in the school, but you knew Draco wouldn't want to talk to you, especially not in front of his gang. So you went straight up to bed, and hoped that you would be able to sleep. That way tomorrow would come, and you could ask a teacher about it. To your surprise, Daphne Greengrass was sitting awake on her bed as you entered.

'Not joining in on the fun?' You asked her casually. Daphne was the only Slytherin girl who wasn't completely awful. She was a part of Pansy's group, but unlike the other girls she didn't laugh at her jokes, and on the rare occasions you were alone, she was actually quite pleasant to you.

'Where were you? Half of Slytherin thought they might've got you too.' She said quietly.

'Disappointed are you?' You snapped. 'I've been with Fred and George. They told me what happened.'

'(Y/N) I-' She paused and let out a sigh, 'Draco has told us a lot about what the message means, I came here to warn you, but when you weren't here...' she trailed off.

'Well, what did he say?' You asked, sitting on the end of your bed and facing her.

'He only said that the Chamber of Secrets was somewhere in Hogwarts, nobody knows where it is; and that inside resides a monster that only the heir of Slytherin can control; and that the heir of Slytherin can use this monster to rid the school of undesirables. I don't know who the heir is, but I dare bet it's someone in this house.' Daphne looked genuinely glum as she said this. As much as you disliked that she was in Pansy's gang, she had gone out of her way to warn you, and at the risk of losing social standing within the group, should they find out that she had been talking to you.

'That's just what I need, yet another enemy from within my own house.' You scoffed. Daphne looked like she wanted to respond, but instead she stood up and headed for the door, turning back to you just before leaving.

'If one of them lets slip who it is, I'll tell Professor Snape straight away. In the meantime, be careful.' She said. You just nodded, you knew you weren't going to sleep that night. George had once joked about you sleeping 'in a pit of snakes', but never before did it ring so true. You wondered if any of them would have told you any of this apart from Daphne. Draco obviously seemed to know a lot, would he tell you anything? He had apologised to you about the whole Hermione thing, that must mean he cared a bit right?

As the next few days passed, your questions were answered. Draco hadn't said anything to you, none of the Slytherins had. Any extra information you had heard (mostly just rumour) had come from Fred and George, who were starting to get on your nerves with how much they wouldn't leave you alone. You loved spending time with them, but they had even started insisting on coming to the library with you (and were incredibly distracting); and they were now walking you to your common room every evening. The Slytherins had started to make jokes about your two bodyguards, it was all becoming a bit too much. One evening, you even tried to hide in the girls toilets to have a bit of time to yourself, but a Gryffindor girl in their year named Angelina Johnson had been sent in to find you.

'They're outside waiting for you, you know. They've sent me into every girls toilet looking for you. Honestly it's like they think I don't have my own evening plans.' She'd complained.

You were happy when the first Quidditch match of the season began to draw near, and the twins were put on an extra intense training regime by their team captain Oliver Wood. As the date of the match approached, excitement buzzed around the corridors. Everyone seemed to have forgotten that the Chamber of Secrets had been opened at all.