Chapter Twenty-Three: Return

Warning: Upsetting Content

Gemue was a modest town in the Rangfoth region; a popular tourist location due to its impressive natural beauty and many attractions such as a doll museum, the botanic gardens and its annual fun fair which was largely powered by magic. This was one of Genue's most remarkable features: many witches and conjurers had settled there. Unlike the Order of the Bells, they were not dedicated to learning the arts to aid Lypera and maintain balance, but they served Lypera by protecting its biodiversity and helping its people. The Witches of Gemue were a humble people and masters of nature magic.

One of the most famous facilities the magic users of Gemue had created were the Veins of Lypera, as they were called. The name in part had been chosen to lure in outsiders by being far more dramatic then the actual attraction. Nevertheless, it was a wonder and a local treasure. The veins were in fact pods which could contain two customers at a time and magically be fired to any destination within a two hundred mile radius. Sometimes a magic user would go inside to steer and guarantee the destination was reached safely, for nearby destinations they merely enchanted the vessel. Regardless, the Veins of Lypera rendered Gemue a transportation hub and the perfect place for the chosen five to get a lift back to Belmoth, where they were going to test the solution on Tammy and West.

While Anwyn was eagerly rambling about Nokia's life story to Junior and the latter was intently listening, Hjalmar decided to take a moment to walk with Kosa. They remained silent for a while, then Hjalmar admitted, "I'm worried about your friend."

"She's not my friend," growled Kosa.

"Yes, she is and the fact that she can't rely on your guidance anymore is one of the grounds for my concern," said Hjalmar, "Junior was pretty attached to Yaz. He played it up as just thinking she was hot, but there was more going on. Then suddenly, he's all over Anwyn. She's just a rebound and she's going to get hurt."

"Anybody who ditches their friends for a guy deserves that," grumbled Kosa.

Hjalmar shrugged. "I just hope it doesn't mess up the group atmosphere."

Kosa nodded. "Fairies, don't you just hate it when romance messes up group dynamics. It's so unnecessary. Wait, do you know if they're actually dating because all I know is that Anwyn was head over heels with him."

Hjalmar confirmed that her fears were true. "When I walked back from Kilian's house with them, Anwyn was trying to stick a label on what he is to her. It was actually an experience to watch, who would've thought Junior was so uncomfortable with being called her boyfriend... Then again, it supports my theory that he's just using her."

"I don't get the appeal with him. I mean, at least get a decent person, like you," commented Kosa with a laugh, then froze. It was there, in the back of her mind, deep in her soul, this jealousy, this loneliness, this hunger for validation and affection. Why couldn't she just like Hjalmar?

Hjalmar too found himself looking at the unmoving girl. Here was a girl that he got on well with, they had chemistry and they got each other. There weren't many hard feelings between them. It would be the right kind of relationship. The kind other people strived for.

He took her hand, telling himself he liked Kosa romantically, trying to convince himself he was infatuated with her and asked her to be his significant other. Kosa pushed away any thoughts saying this was wrong and consented.

< | ■ | >

For once, the travellers were in an actually pleasant town. There was a vibrant and bubbly atmosphere enhanced by children playing tag and pretend and the flowers on the windowsills of most of the houses. In general, the houses were painted in whatever colour the owner had desired and seemingly framed with wood. The smell of blossom and honeysuckle rested in the air, carrying a sweet taste into the mouths of those who inhaled the scent. There was a slight warm breeze that would blow occasionally; the air was hot but not unbearably so.