Chapter Twenty-Seven: Tales II

Caitlyn ran her hand over the soft fabric of Natalia's frock. It was so foreign, wearing Natalia's clothes in Kosa's body. But even though she'd been home and spoken things over with her parents, she couldn't risk wearing a dress of her own. While her parents' forgiveness and understanding gave Caitlyn courage, she needed to trick Crayver into believing she'd been thrown out. He was a powerful man and therefore loved to have people at his mercy.

"I still haven't had the pleasure of meeting this Kosa," commented Natalia, tying back the body's platinum hair.

"Yes, you have. Last night? Dinner? She came out."

"Oh," mumbled Natalia, "She pretended to be you."

"Doesn't sound like Kosa," Caitlyn said, "From what I've seen she likes to make her presence known. I'll talk to her."

"No, don't. I'll look more carefully next time." As if to demonstrate her observation skills, she let her eyes examind every inch of Kosa's body. "Perfect. A bit bony, but you're going to blow Crayver's socks off."

"That's not the plan. I just need to get close enough to be updated."

"And that by hopefully playing on his prior affections."

Caitlyn rubbed a hand across her right eye. "I doubt he had any. My understanding was that it's the match that appealed to him more than me."

"Well, if you didn't want him falling for you, you should have carried on sharing with that guy."

"That's not why we changed the plan," Caitlyn growled. They'd needed someone who would fight for control over the body and when Kosa had volunteered, it had made sense. The Vila girl was strong willed and sharing a body with her came with some perks, such as healing and transforming into a bird.

"Yeah, whatever," said Natalia, taking a moment to step back and admire her work of art, "Knock 'em dead."

Caitlyn shot her a warm smile, then headed out.

"Wait."

Caitlyn spun around, confused.

"You ever ditch me on something we're meant to do together again and you'll wake up at the bottom of the Tren." Natalia's ochre eyes burned like embers, reminding Caitlyn of Junior's. She shuddered. "Now go make me proud."

Caitlyn nodded and left Natalia's room. She spared a moment to look over the Lax home again, feeling guilty for the wealth she had known in her lifetime, then left. She had no time to mourn her birth right. Instead she needed to try to set things right.

Her only stop before the Camil was a chemist's. The bell rang as she pushed the door open and a whiff of diverse remedies swirled in the air. The shop was decorated to imitate those in locations more reminiscent of Oburon's home country. The stark reds contrasted the whites and pale yellows of its exterior but fully sold the place's purpose. The home to exotic remedies and spices.

"I need Ietan, one dose."

The robed woman behind the counter spun around to search her supplies. Caitlyn began drumming her nails against the counter. Unlike hers, that were usually manicured and filed into ovals, Kosa's were bitten down. It was rather distasteful.

You'd better stop insulting my body. Natalia liked it.

Back when she'd been sharing with Oburon, the Gaspa had been too reluctant to explore skills such as this. Kosa, however, was more willing to intrude on private moments.