Chapter Thirty-Two: New Normality

When Anwyn woke up, Kosa was staring out the window. Kosa had elected to share her hotel room for the night before Anwyn returned to Theste and Kosa... Well, Anwyn didn't actually know what Kosa's plans were but her gut told her the Vila girl wouldn't be coming home.

"Hey..." said Anwyn, sitting down beside her, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine..." Kosa replied, "Just had a crazy day yesterday."

"What happened to you? Oburon said it was up to you and Caitlyn to tell us and with Caitlyn imprisoned..." Her voice trailed off.

The Surtrenans had imprisoned Caitlyn's family as war criminals, something that was clearly unjust. Not only had the young woman redeemed herself, but labeling any wartime weapon manufacturers as war criminals showed that the accusers didn't care for justice and were merely seeking revenge.

"Are they going to get her out?"

"Junior said he'd try his best. Hjalmar and Arham have both received medals too, so maybe they'll be able to do something for her," said Anwyn.

Kosa nodded absentmindedly. "Hazhil's human."

"What? How do you-"

"I died and she healed me. It was a stroke of good luck and I don't want to go into all of it, but she's alive," Kosa told her.

"You died?" Anwyn's eyes widened in sympathy.

"That's irrelevant. Tell Yaz. She can inform Junior once he's freed Caitlyn," Kosa implored her.

Anwyn promised she would but didn't go off to do it. Instead, she remained at Kosa's side. Outside, the sky was one of the pinky shades of dawn. While there was beauty in it, it also gave the impression that it had been soaked in blood.

"When we set off, I never expected anything like this..." Anwyn admitted.

"I know," sighed Kosa, "If I'd known I would have wished you well and run as far as I could in the opposite direction."

Anwyn laughed, her head lolling back. When she'd finished, her eyes were damp. "Kosa... How are we going to go on?"

Kosa closed her eyes. "I'm not going back to Theste."

There was a lump in Anwyn's throat. "I can bring you your stuff over."

Kosa met her gaze. "Thank you. I don't need much. Maybe a few valuables and dresses but I want to start over."

"I know. I get it."

Kosa eyed her. "What are you going to do? Will you be alright?"

Anwyn grinned. "I'm going to try something out, not sure quite what yet. I'm sure I'll find stuff I enjoy. No need to worry about me."

"You're my best friend. Of course I'll worry about you."

That statement forced out the tears. Anwyn tried to hide them, rubbing her eyes profusely, but it was too late. Kosa had seen them.

"Anwyn, I'm-" Kosa tried to apologise, but Anwyn cut her off. "Kosa, you can go and reinvent yourself. It's your life and I want you to be happy. It's just you were a really good friend and I'll be sad to lose you."

"Anwyn, you'll never lose me because we'll always been in each other's thoughts. And I'll write. And visit," she added each afterthought with great enthusiasm.

Anwyn took her hand and squeezed it. "I'll always remember you, Kosa Sommer."

"I'll always remember you too, Anwyn Haaland."

< | ■ | >

Oburon had required a lot of sweet talking to be permitted to visit Caitlyn in her cell. It broke his heart to see her in a dark and dusty cell, though she was keeping up appearances as always. Her clothes were remarkably tidy considering she'd been wearing them all day.