4. Blue Monday

"HOW DOES IT FEELTO TREAT ME LIKE YOU DO?"-Blue Monday, New Order

"HOW DOES IT FEEL
TO TREAT ME LIKE YOU DO?"
-Blue Monday, New Order

THE FIRST DAY OF THE LEAGUE WAS FINALLY KICKING OFF, and the first match taking place was the long-awaited clash between Puddlemere and the Appleby Arrows. The team had spent weeks preparing, and sacrificed a lot of free time to perfecting their moves and techniques. Begrudgingly Adore had to admit that Oliver had a lot to bring to the team, and was even staying late many nights to help the coach devise their game plan. It became increasingly obvious why he was chosen as Captain of Gryffindor, and had Teppig not already been picked for Puddlemere's captain prior to Oliver's arrival it seemed likely that Oliver would be first choice already.

Adore didn't envy him too much. She wasn't cut out for a leadership role - her ability to motivate the team consisted only of playing motivational muggle music in the changing rooms before the game and promising to avenge any bludgers that were tossed their way. She wasn't exactly the type of person to give motivational speeches, and that was fine with her - everyone had a role to play when being part of a team.

The adrenaline soared through their veins as it always did while walking out through the player's tunnel to the Quidditch pitch. The sounds of screams could be heard through the closed door, and Adore was suddenly reminded why she loved Quidditch so much. Out on the pitch, she wasn't Adore Kingsley - the girl who's name was plastered across the tabloids and the girl who was haunted by her fair share of heartache. She was just Adore, Puddlemere's beater. And a damned good one at that.

Awkwardly, she ended up standing next to Oliver while the team queued inside their own tunnel. Her eyes darted nervously toward him, the two hadn't spoken since she had snapped at him outside the Whispering Witch, which would have been fine with her (despite the various threats she had received from Andre to make things right) had he not seen her cry just a short while after. Adore had unwillingly allowed him to see her broken, and a large part of her pride was ripped away because of that.

"Nervous, Wood?" She dared to ask, looking toward him from the side of her eye. But her question had his head turning fully toward her.

"Not at all," he replied sincerely. "You?"

At his retort, she turned her head toward him as well, their eyes connecting for a palpable and tense moment.

"Not at all."

With that, the shuttered door slowly began to open to reveal the bright lights of the Puddlemere home stadium and the abundance of fans that had gathered for both teams. Adore suspected there were probably a fair few attendants that didn't support either teams, but Quidditch was a welcome distraction for many people after one of the worst years the Wizarding World had experienced for quite some time.

Beaming with the excitement that flooded her body, Adore mounted her broomstick and took off following behind the team members in front of her, with her bat firmly in hand and her royal blue Puddlemere cape billowing through the air behind her. Carefully she eyed the opposing team - an abundance of witches and wizards who, like her, were there to do their team proud and for their love of Quidditch. But for the next extended period of time or however long it took for the snitch to be captured, they were her enemies.