5. I Wanna Be Adore(d)

"I DON'T HAVE TO SELL MY SOUL,HE'S ALREADY IN ME"-I Wanna Be Adored,  The Stone Roses

HE'S ALREADY IN ME"
-I Wanna Be Adored,  The Stone Roses

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU TALKED ME INTO THIS,"Adore huffed to her blonde friend as they walked side by side into the very same restaurant she had run out from on her previous disaster date. Allison snickered evilly at the woman's words, their arms interlocked by the elbows as they strolled.

Allison, an auror-in-training, had finally convinced her roommate to go on a double date with a guy she planned to be absolutely sexually obliterated by, but he refused to meet up with her unless his friend could tag along. In Allison's mind, it was a foolproof plan. She would be sexuality satisfied, and Adore could potentially meet a new love interest. But Adore herself wondered how long 'said love interest' would last once his friend realised that Allison wouldn't want to pursue anything further after a night in the sack.

Often, Adore envied that about her best friend and flat mate. Unlike her, Allison had no intentions to ever settle down nor did she ever feel pushed to. The blonde was happy enough focusing on her career and her social life, and unlike Adore, didn't need male attention to feel whole.

It didn't take her long to clock onto which table would be theirs, as the sight of two men came into view and the one on the left began to wave frantically in Allison's direction. She supposed that was her beau for the evening, so her hazel eyes flitted to the man beside him. To Adore's delight, he seemed perfectly normal - attractive even. She had half been expecting a goblin by how desperate his friend seemed to pair him up with someone on a double date.

As they reached the table, 'Nigel' stood up to plant a prolonged (and frankly awkward for the non-participants) smooch on Allison's cheek, while Adore settled for shaking her own date's hand.

"Hey, I'm Devon," he introduced himself, his Northern accent pleasantly surprising the ginger who's hand he still held onto.

"I'm Adore, it's lovely to meet you!" She greeted politely, using the opportunity while they sat down to cast a wide-eyed and grateful glance toward Allison. Could it be that she had actually found her a man worth Adore's time?

"What a beautiful name," he commented with a warm smile, "I suppose it suits you. I bet you get a lot of innuendos and puns to do with your name."

"Like you wouldn't believe," she rolled her eyes playfully, "people get really clever with it. When Allison and I first took a look at what would be our eventual apartment, I told her that I really liked the stained glass windows in one of the doors. I could practically hear her saying 'so you adore a door, Adore?' before she even came out with it."

"Must be maddening," he beamed with amusement, "I had stained glass windows in my house actually, but I've had to move out recently."

"Oh really? Did you want a change of scenery?" She asked politely, her smile a little more forced this time. Adore couldn't wait to get the small talk portion of the evening over with. It was by far the one aspect of dating she hated the most - including being secretly recorded for a newspaper.