Chapter 2 - Lucky Girl

My mother died minutes after I was born. After all, it was her fate. My father took me and made me a prized possession. I didn't understand when I was younger, but I soon realized when I was with him, nothing bad ever happened to or his friends. They used to thank me, but I could never grasp why.

After a while, I realized that father friends were a part of his Mafia, and because of me, they all thought that they were invincible. But boy, were they wrong. One day, Father and the executives went traveling around searching to branch out to other countries, and of course, they brought me along.

We traveled around with no luck. Unsurprisingly, no Mafia wanted business with us they quickly told us to leave, and we went to the next country. After a few years of traveling, they decided there was one last place to try, Our last stop was Japan.

There were two main Mafias that they wanted to compromise with the port Mafia and the Valley Mafia. At the time, they were pretty equal in power, but a lot less was known about the port Mafia, and they were known not to be trusted.

-----

I laughed slightly, "Are you confused, Atsushi?" I asked him.

"I little bit, " He said shyly. "How come I've never heard of the Deep East Mafia?"

"They dont exist anymore." I spoke calmly. I could feel Ranpo staring at me. I could tell he was curious about what I was going to say next.

"What happened to them?" Atsushi asked. Silence over took the car, I thought about what to say for a moment, I was almost surprised Ranpo didn't shout out what happened after all he did know the truth. I shrugged my shoulders slightly.

"Nobody really knows. Their boss and executives were killed, just found dead one morning," I said, "So the subordinates either went to the port Mafia or feld the country to avoid jail time." 

"Wait, so why are they important?" Atsushi asked. I laughed

"I haven't gotten there yet,"

-----

I don't remember the day we met with the deep east very well, but it's also something I can't forget. We walked into the Mafia building, and it was quite nice. You couldn't say the same for the outside, but I guess that's good for a hideout.

Farther and his friends were taken into another room, and that was the last time I saw him. I found a comfortable looking couch and sat on it. I ran my finger across the embroidered pattern that was in the red fabric. I sat there for a while, just admiring the luxurious items around me. Then I heard slow footsteps coming towards me. They were at a clam pace and weren't very loud, so I felt safe.

After another step, the person emerged from the shadow. I could see her pale face covered in makeup. She looked very pretty another step, and I could see her dark hair pined up. She wore a light blue traditional kimono with beautiful patterns over it. Even at my young age, I could tell she was gorgeous. She made eye contact with me, and her face grew surprised.

"Oh my, dear, are you lost?" She asked me as she aporched me.

"Kinda," I said shyly she laughed at me, and then she reached her arm out for me to grab.

"Come with me, sweetheart, we'll hang out for now," She said. I grabbed her hand, and she led me away. We walked for a while. I remember asking myself how I was going to get back to that couch, but it soon left my mind when we entered her room. It looked like a princess room, I think she could tell I was impressed because she slightly chuckled at me. "I think you need a little bit of a woman's touch," She said and led me to her vanity and then disappeared into her bathroom.

I sat in the stool facing mirror and released. I haven't looked in one in quite a while. My hair was quite messy, and small bags were under my eyes, and It almost looked like I had dirt on my face. I was honestly surprised by my appearance. After all, I felt fine. A warm cloth on my face, and she gently started cleaning my face.

"Your eyes are so pretty," She said happily as she looked at me.

"Thank you," I shyly said. She put the cloth down and started brushing my hair. There were plenty of knots in my hair, but she was so careful that i barely felt them at all.

"Let's get you something else to wear," She said and went to the wardrobe that was on the other side of the room, "I still have clothes from when I was you're age, they were just so cute that if I had a daughter I'd force her to wear them," she said as she looked though the drawers. She pulled out nice-looking clothes and looked at me, then put them back. "How about some pajamas?" She asked me, then pulled out a small sleep set.

She brought it over to me, and the set was very soft. I almost couldn't believe it. I got changed, and she let me lay in her bed. She left to go get us something to eat, but I never saw her come back because I was fast asleep.

-----

"So why were they bringing a child to Mafia meetings anyways?" Atsushi asked, confused.

"Never really told me, I can only assume it's because of my ability," I answered.

"What exactly is your ability?"

"It's called Murphys Law. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. It's a very useful ability, and it's different than other abilities,"

"How so?"

"It's genetic, so when I was born, I was blessed with the ability, but my mother was cursed with the Murphys Law and died due to complications after birth. It was definitely strange that even the autopsy couldn't pinpoint a reason,"

"So is your ability always active?" Atsushi asked.

"Yea, technically, but I can use substances to make it more powerful, like the caffeine in a coffee or even alcohol would work. When I was little, Father would give me soda for it to work, but maybe a little too much for my age,"

"So what happened after that?" He asked.

"Well, I know that my father and his executives never got out of that conference room alive. I stayed with that girl for a while until they gave me my own room in a different hideout, and I didn't really see her after that," I could see Atsushi frown slightly so I decided that it was time to wrap it up after all the story dosent get better. "Then you know I became a Mafia member. Yada Yada did some things blah blah, and then I joined the agency,"

Atsushi looked at me dumbfounded, and I could feel the questionable stare that Ranpo was giving me to. I decided to ignore both of them since I wasn't going to explain further at the moment. We were about to arrive at the train station anyways so it's not like I could've told the whole story anyway.