Chapter 5 - Little Problems

"Bleh Coffee again? " Ranpo said I glared at him. We sat in the cafe below the agency before work to go over some things.

"Don't knock it till you try it," I said to him, "or are you too scared," I asked and smirked. He reached over and grabbed the cup, and took a quick drink. He made a discussed face. I laughed at the detectives' childish acts.

"Disgusting Y/n," He said. I laughed at him. The waiter came, and we ordered our food. After that, my mind wandered for a moment, I didn't notice until Ranpo said something.

"So what do you think were up with those two weridos yesterday?" He asked me.

"Not sure exactly, but they definitely aren't detectives,"

"For sure, but it shouldn't be hard to do background checks," Ranpo stated,"But then again they only gave us last names,"

"We'll be able to find them somewhere. I'm sure of it, and it'll give us some kind of lead," the bells on the cafe rang, catching my attention. The same girl from yesterday walked in, and she immediately made eye contact with me. Like she was looking for me.

"Ms.L/n!" She said with excitement and walked in front of our table. "Do you remember me?" She asked.

"Of course we just spoke yesterday. How can I help you," I said nervously, trying to compose myself.

"Yes, well, I forgot to give you my name, and I felt so bad, I'm Amber Suki," She said and stuck out a hand, I shook her hand and she quickly dropped it. "I called you, but there was no answer,"

"Sorry, I was away from my desk all day, I can give you my email, and I will definitely get back to you soon,"I said to give a quick solution to the problem I honestly didn't think I would have to deal with something like this so early.

"Sure, that will work," She said. I then realized I had nothing to write with, so I got up.

"I'll be right back," I smiled, I looked at Ranpo and gave him the look. He gave me a small nod in acknowledgment. I went up to the bar of the cafe and waited for the waitress to have a moment. When she stopped making drinks, she made her way over to me.

"How can I help you?"She asked nicely.

"Do you have a pen?" I asked, and she reached under the counter and placed it on top. "Thank you,"

"Of course," She said and went to deliver the drinks that she made. I quickly grabbed a napkin and wrote my email down, then left the pen there. When I walked back over to them, she quickly gave me her attention.

"Here you go. Is there anything else I can do for you?" I asked her slightly annoying.

"No, thank you," She said and then walked out. It seemed like that was the only reason she came into the cafe.

"So, did you get her to say anything?" I asked him.

"No, she didn't even talk to me. I asked her like four questions and not a word," He ranted, slightly annoyed. "Another werido if you ask me," I laughed slightly, the waiter came around without food, and placed it in front of the two of us.

"Werid, I wonder what exactly she wants," I said.

"Who knows, maybe she wants a job," Ranpo stated calmly, mostly focusing on his food.

"You might actually be onto something with that, but we just had two people join. Are there really jobs to give?" He slightly shrugged his shoulders.

"I'm sure we can put her as an assistant somewhere. If Fukazawa doesn't want her, then we'll give her to Kunikida that guy is always behind schedule,"

"Seems like it, anyways will you talk to Fukazawa for me, please?" i asked nicely, hoping he would do the favor for me.

"I guess I can fit that into my busy schedule," Ranpo joked.

"Thanks, Ranpo, that will be a big help,"I said and smiled at him. We ate our food and finished talking before we went upstairs for work. It was pretty late in the morning, so everyone was already at work, except for Dazai, who didn't even have paper or a computer out.

"Y/n, you're finally here," He said and leaned over his desk with his head in his hands like a teenage girl waiting for the drama. "Atsushi told me about the little case you went on yesterday, sounded interesting," I rolled my eyes at the maniac.

"I don't know anything more than Atsushi, sorry," I said and sat down, I opened up my laptop and logged in. I did my daily check-ins and continued to scroll for a while on my computer until Fukazawa entered the office.

"Ranpo, Y/n, meet me in my office," Fukazawa stated seriously, then walked right back out of the room. I looked over to Ranpo, who just shrugged his shoulders. We got up and walked towards his office and stopped right outside the door.

"Do you think we're in trouble?" I asked Ranpo, who just laughed at me.

"Of course not. Why would we be?" He asked confidently, then opened the door for the both of us. We walked into the room and waited for more information. We walked closer towards his desk as he pulled out a tan folder with only a few papers in it. He looked very angry he tried to cover it with his usual stoic face, but he still looked irritated.

"Time is at the essence today, so you'll have to work quickly, im going to keep this brief so you can leave. This morning, we got a call about a missing girl who disappeared last night. The area has three similar cases in this month alone, and the police can't figure it out. I want you guys to take four other's to go look for them, dont come back until there is some kind of conclusion. "

"Can we take Yasano?" I asked.

"No, she has to stay here also, kyoka should probably stay here. You shouldn't be in too much danger, but take Kunikida and Dazai with you and whoever else you feel like, just not the whole angecy," Fukazawa said.

"Okay, sounds good. I'll go get them ready while you guys wrap up here," I said, and Fukazawa gave me permission to leave the room. I made my way back to my desk.

"Did you get in trouble?" Dazai asked me.

"No, we're going on a case," I said and pointed at the three of them as I packed my stuff that was on my desk. They all just looked at me like I was joking. "We're leaving like now," I said as I got all of my work stuff into my bag.

"You can't just send me on a mission without warning. I have a whole schedule today," Kunikida complained.

"Good thing I'm not, Fukazawa is, so if yo have a problem, take it with him, but I'll let you know he is not a good mood," I slightly snapped at him I took a seat at my desk for a moment and quickly explained to then what was going on with the case and how little we actually know.

"They're sending us on a goose chase," Kunikida complained.

"If we can't do it, then who will? The police have already searched the area, so they might have a lead but no promises," I said, "Also we can take one more person who should we take?" I asked the three of them. We discussed it for a moment until we decided on Kenji. They all got ready to leave as I went to tell and asked Kenji if he wanted to join, and he happily obligated.

The four of them got ready to go pretty quickly and went downstairs to eat before we left. I packed up Ranpos' work stuff and the many snacks on his desk into his bag since he hasn't come out of Fukazawas office yet. I walked back to the office with both of our bags and set them right outside the door. I knocked softly and waited for a response. After a moment, I heard Ranpo tell me to come in, which was weird.

"We're ready to go, Kenji and Atsushi are also coming with us," I stated. I noticed that Fukazawa looked tired. "Should I get you a coffee sir you seem exhausted,"

"I'll be fine. I just didn't get much sleep last night, im counting on the two of you to get this case under wraps, once you get there i suggest splitting up and talking to the parents, " He said.

"Alright, we're off, thank you, sir," I said and exited the room before Ranpo did. I picked up our bags, and he came out shortly after me. I handed him his bag, and he quickly looked through it.

"You got everything in here. Good job, Y/n. You're the best," Ranpo said, and I laughed.

"I figured as long as I put your snacks in there, you'd be happy,"