Chapter 7

September 22, 2020
Lewis' POV
I was going to meet Molly's mum today. I was a bit nervous. I mean, what mum would feel comfortable with a 25 year old man hanging out with their 12 year old daughter. But I just can't shake the feeling that something's wrong with Molly. Because if there is, I want to help her. And also she's a very nice girl. So I just have to act naturally and be a gentleman.

Here I am. In front of her house. My palms were sweaty, knees weak, arms heavy, there vomit on my sweater already, mom's spaghetti. This is the right address, right. Yup, 501 Cherry Tree Lane. I took a deep breath and rang the door bell.
Molly is the one who answered it. But she looks like she was crying.
"Hello Molly." I greet.
"H-hey Lewis."
"Is everything alright?"
"Well, my mum's not home yet. She gets off work at 5:00 and she's not here."
"Ok Molly. How we go inside and you can call your mum."
"Ok." She sniffled a bit and we walked inside her house. It was small. The living room was pretty nice. But nothing fancy.
We sat on her couch and she picked up her phone. She put it up to her ear.
"Mum, where are you. It's over 5:00 and Lewis is over." Pause. "How long will that take?" Pause. "So is Lewis supposed to just stay here for an hour before you get here?" She sighed. "Alright. Talk to you later mum." She put her phone down and looked at me. "She's going out with her boyfriend today. She told me she should be here in an hour."
"Alright." We sat there for a few minutes in awkward silence. I could tell Molly was upset.
"So tell me a bit about your family." I told Molly, trying to break the silence.
"Well, I don't know my dad. My mum kicked him out when I was four. A reason I'm not really sure of. My mum, well, she's always out. And she never really listens to me. Most of the time when I talk to her, it's like talking to a wall. My grandma used to look after me when I was younger but she got sick and couldn't do it anymore. I've been on my own since I was 7. My grandma passed away last year due to cancer."
"Oh, I'm so sorry Molly."
"It's fine. And I have one aunt and uncle. I never really talk to them. And I have a cousin who is 6 years older than me. We used to be best friends but then he stopped talking to me when he got older. He moved away for college last year. My grandpa died a long time ago. Before I was born. That's it."
Wow, this girl has gone through a lot. The only family she has is her mum and she's barley around. And why would someone leave their 7 year old home alone. I didn't even know how to respond to her.
"Uh, do you have any friends?"
"Nope. I spend all my time alone playing video games, watching YouTube, and reading."
"What kind of video games do you play."
"I have a Switch so Nintendo games. I play SuperMarioMaker 2, CupHead, Minecraft, Fortnite, and The Legend of Zelda."

After a while her mum finally arrived.
"Oh hey mum. This is the guy I was talking about last night. Lewis."
Her mum stared at me for a few seconds. I just sat there awkwardly.
"Nice to meet you Lewis. I'm Jane."
We shook hands.
"Molly, you mind going back to your room. Lewis and I need to have an adult conversation."
"Sure thing mum."
Molly hopped off the couch and made her way down the hall.
Jane sat down on the couch next to me.
"So Lewis. Molly has told me a little bit about you. She says your a YouTuber."
"I am. Very well paying job."
"Ok, why do you hang out with my daughter?"
"Well he's a very polite girl. Very mature for her age. And she told me that she doesn't have any friends so I want to be there for her."
"I know that if anything is bothering her she'll come to me since I'm her mother. So there will be no need to worry about that."
Yeah right.
"Are you married?"
"No."
"Do you have a girlfriend."
"No."
"Where do you live?"
"216 Spruce Lane."
She asked me some more questions and what I have to say is, this woman is pretty rude.
"Ok Lewis. I'll let you hang out with my daughter. But if I find out you've done anything to her, I'll murder you. Understand?"
I gulped. "I understand."
"Alright. Now shoo. I have to get ready for work."
"Ok. Just let me say goodbye to Molly."
I went down the hall and knocked on Molly's door.
"Uhh, hold on a second." She said.
I awaited a few seconds before I heard Molly say come in. I opened the door and was met with Molly sitting on her bed. But her face looked wet. Like she was crying. But she tried to hide it.
"Hey Molly. I talked with your mum. She said we could hang out."
She nodded.
"Well bye Molly. I'll see you later."
"Bye Lewis."