part 8 - is that all?

"Johnny!" I hollered.

"What's up?" He peeked his head into my bedroom door as I'm shoving my dirty converse into my backpack.

"I think I'm gonna go to Midsummer's, is that okay?"

"The big Kook thing?"

"Yeah," I went to my bedside table to take out the necklace my dad had given me for my 10th birthday. I hooked it around my neck before zipping my backpack. "Mayor Watson formally invited me but I'll probably tag along with the Carreras because Kie wasn't too excited for it."

Leaning against the door, my brother crossed his arms, "And you are because..."

I stopped to look at him. "I'm not excited. Well, I'm not not excited, I don't know. It could be fun."

He raised an eyebrow at me. "Yeah, fun."

"Besides your girlfriend's gonna be there, right? I'll get the chance to meet her as your girlfriend."

"Bean, she's not my girl-" I began laughing and he glared at me.

Clearing his throat, he stood up straight. "Okay, well, have fun, I'm going to school."

"You're going to school?" I asked dubiously.

"Bye Bean!" He said before backing out the door.

-

"Well, you look fabulous," I told Kie as I walked into her room.

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah right. Can you believe this thing? I'm glad you're coming with, it'll make the whole night more tolerable. Anyways, here is the dress my mom thought would be good for you."

Kie led me to her bed and pointed out the simple olive green dress laying across it.

"Love it," I said,

"I thought you would," she smiled. "Go, put it on."

She shoved me into the bathroom, the dress in hand. I quickly slipped out of my t-shirt and shorts and pulled on the gown. I tied it around my waist before heading back out to show Kie.

 I tied it around my waist before heading back out to show Kie

"See, now why can't I look like that." Kie frowned.

I crossed my arms and shook my head. "Seriously? Have you seen yourself? You're gorgeous."

"Fine but if my hair has to be like this so does yours, come on." She pulled me to the chair and began clipping flowers into my hair, sweeping it to the side. "So did you hear? JJ went to the slammer this morning."

I immediately looked up, meeting her eyes through the mirror. "Why? Is he still there?"

"I don't know, that was the last I saw him. It had something to do with Topper's boat... I'm not really sure what happened though. The guys were being weird about it."