part 11 - don't do this

"You are the biggest dumbass ever, you know that?" I glared at my brother, setting a cheeseburger in front of him.

"I just want them to be friends!" John B protested.

"Yeah, that is so not the way," I narrowed my eyes at him before turning to JJ and Pope. "And you two idiots let this happen?"

"Avery, you should've seen them earlier-"

JJ jumped in. "God those two were going at it. John B handled it beautifully though. Chose both his best friend and his girlfriend, right Pope?"

"Oh dear lord." I set my elbows on the surface of the bar and buried my face in my hands.

"Okay, it was not that bad," Johnny stuttered.

JJ scoffed. "Sarah, you're my,"

"Say it," Pope whispered, reaching for JJ's hand.

"girlfriend." JJ finished, snickering. Pope joined in on his laughter making fun of my brother.

I rubbed my eyes and blinked at John B. "I am humiliated to know you sometimes."

His jaw dropped a little, but it was all in good fun.

"You could've at least taken me with? Left me there with them you know. Just to make sure they don't kill each other overnight."

"That might have been smart." Pope nodded, pressing his lips together.

"Not that we are," JJ shrugged.

Johnny pushed his empty cup of Dr. Pepsi across the bar, requesting a refill. "Well, it's fine. What's the worst that can happen? On second thought, don't answer that. We'll just go out tomorrow morning and see. I trust them."

"Yeah, it's not fair how I have trust issues and you don't," I said to him, pushing a full cup of Dr. Pepsi back his way. I made my way to the couple at the corner of the bar who I had given menus earlier.

Smiling at the woman, I asked her "What can I get for you?"

"The shrimp with a side of fries and slaw." She said before handing me the menu. I turned to the man, who was still looking over the menu.

"Um, I think I'll go with the chicken sandwich." I nodded and took his menu on top of hers.

"Perfect. I'll have that out for you both soon."

"Can I also get another beer?" The man asked.

"For sure." I smiled at him before turning away. Piling the two menus on the rest, I rang the chef's bell. Connie promptly appeared at the window with her big cheeky grin.

"I need a chicken sandwich and shrimp with fries and slaw," I told her.

"You got it." She vanished from the window to prepare the meals.

"Billy!" I called to the bartender at the other end of the bar. "Another beer here!"

He finished pouring the drink to the woman in front of him before pulling a beer from under the counter for the man I was serving. I filled up a cup of water for myself and moved back over to stand in front of my brother and his friends.

"Avery!" JJ said with a cheesy grin. "Another beer here!"

"Shut it."

"Damn," he clicked his tongue before picking a fry off of Pope's plate. "It was worth a shot."

"What time do you get off?" John B asked as he ate the last bite of his burger.

I took a drink of my water and set it down. "Nine, what time is it?"