part 9- i guess we're moving

"Yo, uh... so, uh, I think I'm gonna do this one by myself... tonight," Johnny said, shutting off the car engine after we arrived at the Hawk's Nest.

JJ laughed, slapping his buddy on the back, but quickly realized he was serious. "Really?"

"Yeah, I don't want to spook Sarah with the peanut gallery."

"I just don't understand why we're involving her at all," Kie grumbled, still upset about our decision to trust Sarah.

"Kie," John B sighed. "We're not involving her, okay? It's-- it's just, uh, like a-- a business meeting...thing. Look, once we get what we need, we cut her loose, all right? Plus, we need the map."

"Promise me nothing's happening between you," Kie demanded.

"Nothing is happening, Kie." My brother affirmed.

"I'm being serious. This isn't about you, and this isn't about us. This is about her. Dude, she's gonna get inside your head. Just promise me nothing's happening between you guys."

"I promise," Johnny said convincingly.

"That was really believable."

"A hundred percent believable."

"Anyways, um... I'm gonna take care of business."

"You're gonna take care of that business sooo well." JJ offered his vote of confidence.

"We'll just sit here...in the hot-ass car. While it's lightning." Pope told him. We all watched silently as he left into the dark.

I reached into my hair and began pulling out the flower clips Kie had put in. Once they're all out, I turned my hair into a bun on top of my head. I felt a stare on me; looking over, I saw JJ watching me closely.

"What are you looking at?" I said out loud, holding his gaze.

His eyes widened and he stammered an answer. "I, uh, it's interesting to watch you do your hair,"

"You growing a man bun or something?" Pope mocked, making Kie laugh.

JJ's cheeks reddened with embarrassment and he looked away from me. Kie asked him about the Kooks running him out of midsummer's tonight, and he began talking.

"Wait, do you guys hear that?" I interrupted the story JJ was telling.

"What?" Pope and Kie said together.

"Please, somebody help!" A voice rang from a distance.

"Oh, wait, no, I hear that," JJ said, scrambling out of the van.

"Shit," Pope muttered.

We ran out towards the Hawk's Nest and Sarah's voice.

"Jesus Sarah! What happened?" Pope said catching his breath.

I saw Sarah sobbing next to my brother groaning on the ground. "I don't know what to do. He needs help. Topper shoved him."

"Where the hell is he now?" JJ questioned.

"Oh, please, please, please get help. I don't care who. Just call someone." Sarah cried.

Kie stood back, watching "Go. Go! Go!"

"Pope, hurry!" JJ yelled urgently.

"John B, stay with me." She said between sobs. "Please don't leave me. John B?"

The rest of the night was a blur, all I remember is getting in an ambulance and going to the hospital with my brother. Woken up the next morning by a tap on my shoulder, I slowly fluttered my eyes open.