Prologue

The full moon's soft, silvery light shone down on the quiet world below, illuminating the tops of the maple trees that stood side by side. The leaf filled branches formed a roof of leaves above the forest floor. The shrill laugh of a kit shot through the air.

"Got you!"

A small, silver furred she-kit stumbled sideways, her eyes wide as she ducked a brown tom-kit's claws.

"Nice catch," a larger brown she-cat said, her amber eyes glimmering with amusement. "you'll be a great hunter one day, Cloud."

The silver kit snorted as she looked at Cloud's "prey,". "Yeah, he'll be great at catching sticks."
Cloud growled, whirling around to face her. "Whatever Silver. At least I'm not as wierd looking as you." 
Silver flinched. She looked different from her mother and siblings, and Cloud always taunted her because of it. Right then she wanted to claw the arrogant tom's look right off his face.

With a yowl, she leapt onto Cloud's back and unsheathed her claws, digging them into the soft fur on his shoulders. Out of the corner of her eye, Silver saw her mother step forward out of the den.
"Enough!" she hissed, making the other one of of Silver's siblings, Fawn, poke her head out from behind her bushy tail.

Distracted by her mother's voice, Cloud easily flipped Silver over and pinned her down by her shoulders. 
"Get off me!" she found herself looking up at Cloud's sneering face. "You win already!" 
He didn't move.
"Cloud!" her mother stood up and lashed her tail. "Get off your sister!"

Fawn stumbled out out the den. "Don't fight." she pleaded as she padded closer to where Cloud still squished Silver.

Silver glanced back up at Cloud to see him throw a furious glare at Fawn. "Cloud," she whined, trying to break the tension building between them. "get off me, you're heavy!"

Reluctantly, he unsheathed his claws, stepped off of her, and padded over to his very angry looking mother. "Sorry, Violet." he mumbled.
"Don't fight like that ever again." Violet cuffed him over his ears, furious. She looked back up. "Fawn!" 
Silver looked up in surprise. Isn't she going to punish me?

Violet's eyes widened with horror as her eyes flicked to something behind Silver.
Confused, she turned around and froze. Fawn was laying unmoving in in a pool of blood.

~~~

Thanks for reading!
~silver