Chapter 3: Understanding

Draco straightened his coat. He knew that this was going to be one of the most awkward appointments in his life. He heard Hermione's confident strides, and turned his head from the paperwork spread on his messy desk.
"Healer Malfoy. I assume you have your appointment with Aura Potter today?" She offered him an unworklike smile, which he returned gratefully.
"You'll do great. Just, don't think too much about what you're doing okay? Otherwise you'll just act awkward." Draco was taken aback he didn't realise just how much Grang-Miss Granger inferred from their lunch time chats. He gave her a curt nod, and strode to the secretary that gave the patients files to the healers.

Harry strode to the front desk at Mungos.
"I'm here to see Healer Malfoy." The secretory looked up and tried to hide her gasp. Harry tried to hide his eye roll that always happens when anyone overreacted about who he was. He failed.
"I guess I don't need to ask your name, Harry." Her eyelashes fluttered, a move Harry knew from experience usually meant they were about to do some heavy flirting.
This, is why I like guys. They don't do, he paused, looking at the secretary. She was unashamedly pushing out her chest, and had a, was it sexy? Grin on her face.
That.
"Over that way. Aura Potter" she rolled his name around her tongue, almost sensually. Harry shook his head in disgust, didn't they realise he wasn't interested?

Draco gathered himself. It was time. He stopped passing, and strode out the door.
Why was he so scared? He was just doing an appointment for God's sake.
"Aura Potter, I can see you know. Right this way." He led Harry into the room.
"Potter." Why did he still say Pottah? Hadn't he grown out of that?
"Draco." Harry said, almost soothingly.
No. "Potter." Draco insisted.
"Draco."
They were not friends. Stop.
"Potter!"
"Draco!"
"Potter!" Draco suddenly wondered if Potter would pull out his wand. Like in the bathroom. With the lights glaring down at him. And the blood. The blood. His heartbeat quickened. He wasn't in there, he was safe. Home. But the sound of that one tap running, his ragged breathing. He couldn't breath. Help. Help. And now he wasn't home. He was a boy. Just a boy. Just-just a small boy that was trapped. Trapped in the darkness. And couldn't find the way out. The weight of lives on his shoulders.
"Sectumsempra!" No. Not again. Please. Not this. Anything but this.

Harry ran to the gasping man. He was weakly trying to push Harry away, but wasn't anywhere near strong enough. Harry pulled out his wand, and sent a calming spell towards Draco, who finally stopped thrashing on the cold floor. After a minute or so, Draco sat up, dazed.
"Wha-"
"Don't try and talk yet." Harry urged, slipping quickly back into Aura mode. "You've just had a panic attack. Now, just shake or nod your head. Do you feel pain?" Draco shakily shook his head.
"Good. Now, is breathing easy?" Draco waited for a couple seconds before nodding his head.
"Okay, great. Do you want me to get someone?" Harry was trying to hide his astonishment, but it was not an easy task. Draco managed to sputter out a quick,
"No." Before lying his head back down on the cupboard door.

Harry stayed holding onto Draco until he was able to properly function.
"Draco?" Draco nodded once more, and Harry continued,
"That letter, from last time." Harry knew he was walking on thin ice here, so he needed to tread very carefully.
"What was it about?" Draco gave a small laugh that was nearly soundless, and such a hollow noise that Harry felt overcome with pity for his, enemy? Was that what they were? He didn't dislike Draco. He hoped Draco felt the same. Draco got to his feet, and with only somewhat trembling legs, got a letter out of his bag, and handed it to Harry. Harry took it and read.

Dear Mr Draco Lucius Malfoy,

We regretfully inform you that three days ago, your father Lucius Abraxas Malfoy died in the wizards prison Azkaban. All his belongings will be sent to you by owl at a later date.

Sorry for your loss,

Head of wizards most famous prison Azkaban, Fourth Minister of the department of punishment, and head of the department of law enforcement,

Barclay Innsbruck

Harry gave the letter back to draco, who put it back on the desk.
"Wow. Um, want to talk about it?" Draco sadly shook his head.
"No." So Draco proceeded to unwrap and wrap, cast spells at Harry's arm, get many potions that Harry didn't know the name of from out the cupboard, until Draco started talking.
"I didn't love him." Harry stayed silent, knowing what Draco would say is all he wanted to, so he shouldn't push.
"I think, I think it was the idea of him. You know? The man that I saw when I was eleven. Not the coward, who would hide under killing to get his way." Harry waited for him to speak again. But it seemed that was all Draco was going to say, until the end of their appointment. Draco explained what Harry should do for his arm every night before sleeping. And Harry thanked him.

Harry was walking out the door. This was his chance. He could shy from the past like his father, or face it head on.
"Harry." Draco said, grabbing Harry's arm to prevent him from walking out the oak door. "I'm, sorry. Harry." God, it was weird to say. "For everything. I'm sorry." Harry gave Draco a small smile that only used half of his mouth.
"I understand." And those, Draco thought, as he pulled off his coat, were the best words he'd ever heard.

I reaaally hope you enjoyed this chapter! I have a good idea where the story will be going so stick around! I will try my best to upload every day, except weekends maybe, So yea

I reaaally hope you enjoyed this chapter! I have a good idea where the story will be going so stick around! I will try my best to upload every day, except weekends maybe, So yea. Make sure to drop some comments and if you liked it give it a like!

-Winter