A Date

-JXYLINE  WARNING : SLIGHTLY EROTIC KISSING SCENE AT THE END.

MODERN AU : Cassandra is the daughter of a top rank Police officer, and the best friend of Rapunzel, whose father is the Mayor of the town. Varian is Eugene's cousin, and has been living in Corona for some months now. (Literally all of my Modern AU is going to have him as Eugene's cousin, because I stan Team Awesome and why not.) Varian is 21, and Cassandra is 29.

A little backdrop to the story:

Rapuzel had slowly started to notice how uncomfortable Varian would get near Cassandra. At first Rapunzel thought that it was because he was scared of Cassandra, her piercing gaze from her expressionless, sharp eyes, which was enough to send a chill down the spine of even the strongest person. But no, as Rapunzel started observing her friend's behaviour more and more, she was proved otherwise. Varian loved Cassandra. He would intently listen to her conversations, he would involuntarily smile when she smiled and laughed, and he rolled his eyes when Eugene called her an Ice lady, or other such nicknames that he had come up for her.
Speaking of nicknames, Varian even started calling her Cassie, the last to do so was Andrew, with whom Cass had a terrible breakup. She forbade anyone to call her by that nickname, but there was something in the sparkling blue eyes of the boy, in his voice, that she had relented, just to him. Rapunzel tried her best to notice how Cassandra behaved when she was with Varian, but her expression was too stoic to be noticed by Rapunzel what she had been feeling. Rapunzel almost came to the conclusion of Varian's love for Cassandra being hopeless, if it hadn't been for one particular occasion :

They were hanging out in their favourite Cafe, the Snuggly Duckling, as always. Cassandra was sitting beside Varian, while Rapunzel was sitting in front of her and beside her boyfriend Eugene. They were playing Truth and Dare, and it was Cassandra's turn.

"Dare." She said.

"Ah. Finally got a chance to be even with you, Ice lady." Eugene smirked.

Cassandra rolled her eyes. "Do what you wanna do, I am not backing down." Eugene's look was enough to let her know that he was challenging her, and Cassandra was the one who could never resist a challenge.

"Well...." He closed his one eye and put a finger on his chin, expressing a mock thoughtful look. Suddenly he jerked up, and grinned at her. "What you say about joining me and Rapunzel in the couple dance happening over there?" Eugene said, pointing at the dance happening in front of him. Cassandra turned her head to see what he was indicating at, and then looked at Eugene with a raised eyebrow. She had never, ever danced in front of them, or anyone, and suddenly she felt insecure about it. "Hey, you shouldn't do if you dont want to, but that would mean backing down." Though Eugene said the the first half sincerely, the second half was more mocking. And this annoyed Cassandra to no end.

"I never said I didn't want to. But who will I dance with?"

"Well, we have Varian!" Eugene said, looking admiringly at his cousin, who suddenly jerked his head up, looked at Eugene with wide eyes, as a whole shade of covered his cheeks.

Rapunzel, who knew what was up with the poor boy, looked at him sympathetically, and touched Eugene's shoulder as she spoke, "Eugene, are you sure this is a good idea?"