Day of Hearts

AU where Varian didn't get his redemption, is still in a prison (a special prison which is faraway from others, and is quite secluded). Cassandra didn't turn evil, and she along with Rapunzel, Eugene, Lance and others are back in Corona, after solving the mystery of black rocks, living happily ever after. She has also been appointed as the Captain of guards by her father, finally gaining his trust. She thinks that she got everything she ever wanted, or, did she? Isn't there a certain alchemist, who is still in a deep, dark place?

(Takes places after six years from the first season, and Rapunzel is now the Queen of Corona.)

WARNING : RATED NC - 17 FOR VERY EXPLICIT SEXUAL SITUATIONS.

It's the day of hearts, and almost no good guard is available to guard the cell of the most dangerous criminal in the whole of Corona, except the Captain of guards herself. How do you think this is going to turn out?

Cassandra didn't know what she was feeling as she took out the key to open the main gate leading to his cell. Her hands were shaking, and her heart was beating too loudly. There was a whirlpool of emotions inside her, and she wasn't able to clearly make out whether it was a good thing or not. Upon opening the gate, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath and as she walked forward she felt a growing anticipation in her stomach, a tingle of fear, nervousness and excitement. Maybe, she shouldn't be here, this was getting harder than she had imagined.

The night before :

The brows of the former Captain of guards furrowed as he took in the news of his daughter guarding the prison cell of the boy who had, six years ago : broke into the castle, kidnapped the Queen, turned his faithful pet into a monster, whose blow had injured him for some time, but most importantly, he had squeezed his dear girl almost to death. Although he was proud of his daughter who had taken up his former post, and was doing her job well, that didn't give him any reason to be happy when his daughter informed him that she had to guard the prison cell of the most dangerous criminal in the whole of Corona.
"You are saying that no one else is available to do the job?" He asked, his deep voice laced with concern.
"Yes." Cassandra said, looking up at him. "Trust me, dad, I'll be fine.", Cassandra said, sighing. "I think Rapunzel asked for you."
"What about Stan and Pete?" The captain surely wasnt going to leave anytime soon.
"Stan and Pete have their better halves to attend to, and we cant trust some other guard with him." Cassandra said, a bit annoyed. She understood that her father was a bit afraid for her, but wasn't this what she had signed up for? Plus, how bad can it go with a former friend - turned - dangerous criminal who had almost broken her ribs and is now behind the bars? The thought made her practically wince and curse under her breath.
"Did you say something?" His brows furrowed more.
"No... no, I didn't," She immediately backtracked, and putting her hand on his father's  shoulders, gave him a reassuring smile. "I'll be fine dad, really. Trust me."
The former Captain took a deep breath, as if trying his best calm the raging storm inside him, and then, looked at his daughter, smiling a little, "Sometimes, I just see the little girl I remember, and not the young woman you've grown into." With that, he left her office, and Cassandra heaved a sigh of relief.

Maybe, her father was right, and she was still a little girl? Shaking her head, Cassandra drove out such thoughts from her mind. She was the Captain of Guards, fearless and brave. Such a trifle shouldn't bother her.
As she approached his cell, however, she was definitely shocked, as she saw a figure huddled up in a corner, his head pressed to his knees, and she gave out a soft, sharp gasp, loud enough to make him aware of her presence.
She had heard from the conversations between Stan and Pete that he didn't eat anything on the anniversary date of the storm, and sometimes, in the corridor to the council room, she could hear him screaming for help.
He looked up, staring at her direction, his blue eyes, which was once filled with brightness and adoration, was now pale, lifeless and emotionless. Soon the confusion from his face melted away, and it was now replaced by a smirk, which was definitely not liked by Cassandra. She had heard that he refused to est "Finally, milady decided to grace us with her presence!" He held out his hands in mock gesture, as he sneered at her, "You finally got that guard assignment, huh? Took you this long to convince him? Really Cassie, you upset me." He said, looking down and mockingly shaking his head sadly.