Chapter 29

I woke up with a start, for the first time in my life feeling that jolt of panic from not waking up in my own bed. What the hell had I done last night?! Why did I think seeing Dale was a good idea?

The memories of the night came back swishing back: worrying about the essay, then the nightclub, dancing with Leo, banging on Dale's door, confessing my feelings for him, and then—the kiss. Oh God, that kiss.

I never realized just kissing could be so hot. Why had no one told me this?! My bones went wobbly, and I was glad I was lying down. So this is what it's like to really want someone. I thought I knew, but I had no idea.

I turned my head and scanned the room, fidgeting with the neckline of the dress that I was still wearing from last night. "Dale?" I called, getting up from the bed and pulling down my dress. I padded over to the bathroom and knocked softly, calling, "Dale?" There was an instant knot in my stomach.

I knew he was leaving early for Switzerland this morning to get a start on the desserts, but surely he would have woken me up to say goodbye first? I tried the bathroom handle and it opened, but Dale wasn't inside. Either was any of his stuff. The knot grew bigger and bigger. The closet was empty and his suitcase was gone too.

My hands were shaking by the time I picked up my phone from the bedside table and pressed it alive. And then, it made sense.

The screen showed the first line of a text message from Sebastian "I'll see you at my house at 3 p.m. on Friday. I'll send you the address."

"Oh, screw you, Seb!" I pelted the phone onto the bed where it bounced once. Immediately I ran for it and dialed Dale's number. He must have seen the text. It was the only explanation for why he left like that.

"Pick up!" I told him through the phone, "Please pick up so I can explain!" But Dale didn't pick up.

He thinks I lied about Seb to him.

I had to fix this. This had to end this right now. And suddenly I knew exactly what I had to do about Seb.

I ran to my room and texted Brooke that I would be late for our final shoot in Venice, only because this had to be taken care before I lost my nerve.

Unfastening my laptop, I clicked open a new document, and I started typing. I ended up missing the whole shoot because I couldn't stop typing.

But the essay was done.

I packed my stuff away and headed to the train station. It would be in Sebastian's hands ahead of Friday's deadline.