Chapter 13

Chapter 13

       The moment my cell phone started ringing, I sighed. I knew it was Daisuke calling me, telling me about the next task our team was going to have to complete. I was getting tired of these stupid tasks. I just wanted to relax at home whenever we didn't have practice, not spend our free time doing whatever these people were telling us to do.

       "These tasks seem to be getting a bit easier," Daisuke said. "Or at least nothing like that game we had to play at the arcade."

       "What is it this time?" I asked. "And is there anyway I can skip it to sleep?"

       "Yeah, I'm pretty sure none of us are allowed to skip," Daisuke said. "Otherwise, you know, we have to face whatever consequences those people have planned. And since they have a hacker, I'd rather not fail a task. Anyway, the task is to just go to the corn maze and try to beat it in less than an hour."

       "Is it one of those haunted ones? Or is it just the maze? Because Hifumi is getting a bit upset about Ray going out every night without Kotaro. I'd rather not have her not let Ray go out somewhere."

       "Oh, don't worry. It's just a corn maze. Not a haunted one, thankfully. I think Johan and Giovanni need a break from all the jump scares. Anyway, I have to call everyone else to let them know. We'll meet up at the corn maze at six."

       "I might be late."

       "Why? Do you have plans?"

       "No. I just feel like being late."

       Daisuke chuckled. "Try to be on time, Archer."

       "No promises."

       After we hung up, I turned to look at Ray, who was lying on the bed, listening to an audiobook. He noticed I finished my phone call, so he took out one of his earphones. "What's up?" he asked.

       "The next task is going to the corn maze," I said. "And we have to beat it in less than an hour. But Daisuke said it's just a regular corn maze, not a haunted one, so Kotaro is allowed to come."

       "Ooh, yay," Ray said. "I think Kotaro is getting upset that I haven't been taking him out the past two days. My mom hasn't been happy about it too. I wouldn't be surprised if she wouldn't let me go out without him anymore."

       "Yeah, that's what I was telling Daisuke," I said. "So we have to go meet up at the corn maze at six. Meaning we have quite some time to kill so..." 

       I leaned down to press my lips on mine, but Ray sensed I was moving towards him and he stopped me from kissing him by placing his hand on my chest. "Just wait. I'm at a really good part of this book."

       "Can't you pause?"

       "I mean, technically, I can pause but I don't want to. I want to know what's going to happen next. So leave me alone, you horny person."

       I sighed, lying down on the bed beside Ray. I swear, sometimes he didn't want to kiss me just because he knew it would annoy me. He always tried to think of new ways to annoy me, ever since we met in high school.

       Why did I have to fall in love with this annoying dumbass?

       "Are you done yet?" I asked.

       "Nope. And I won't be done for a while if you keep asking me because I'll have to keep rewinding. So shush. Go find something else to do."

       "But I want to kiss you."

       "You always want to kiss me. Go kiss the mirror or something. Maybe even a picture of me." Ray gasped. "Should I get you a body pillow of me?"