Chapter 16

Chapter 16

       The sixth task definitely had to be the worst one yet. Playing a game against animatronics? That wasn't too bad. I was more concerned about Ray wanting to run around. Staying overnight at an abandoned asylum? That was fine. I slept most of the night.

       But this?

       I was tempted to deal with the consequences of not completing the tasks, no matter what it was. Blackmail? Bring it. I would rather face that than... than this cruel, unusual punishment.

       "You know, I can't even see you, Archie, but I know you've been scowling this whole time," Ray said. "It's not that bad! I bet you'll actually have a lot of fun!"

       "Wearing a costume on Halloween? I doubt it."

       Mason chuckled. "Come on, Archer. You're making a big deal out of it. And you're right, Ray. He has been scowling ever since we walked into the store. Even before that."

       "Can you blame me?" I asked. "This task is ridiculous."

       Sterling snorted as he browsed through the suits in the aisle most of us were in. "I think I speak for all of us when I say that I would rather look for a masquerade themed costume than do some shit like animatronics stalking us and going to a haunted house against our will."

       "I'd rather do all that again," I said.

       "What do you have against costumes?" Daisuke asked.

       I shrugged. "I was never really interested in Halloween. Didn't have someone to go trick-or-treating with. Not a big deal."

       "Then I will make this the best Halloween for you!" Ray said, his hands roaming all the clothes, trying to find a material he liked. He soon gasped and pulled a vest off of the rack. "Look at this! It has sequins!"

       "That looks too flashy," Sterling commented.

       "Ooh, then that's perfect for me," Ray said. "Archie, what colour is it?"

       "Black, and it's not your size," I said.

       Ray frowned as he put the vest back on the shelf. "My least favourite colour and not my size? My life is ruined!"

       I scanned through the similar vest before finding one in his size. I handed it to him. "Here. It's not identical, but it's still heavily decorated with sequins and it's orange."

       Ray smiled, holding the vest up to his chest. "See? Costume shopping is fun!"

       "No."

       "Ooh, I have an idea. You should wear the black vest."

       "Absolutely not. Are you crazy?"

       "Yeah, probably. But I remember you looking extremely good in black. Oh, and blue! Is there a blue vest? You should wear that one!"

       "I'm going to go check out the masquerade masks before Archer ends up murdering Ray," Sterling announced as he started walking out of the aisle. "I don't want to be a witness. Less of a hassle for me." Johan followed him out of the aisle, not wanting to be left without his best friend.

       Daisuke looked around the aisle before sighing. "Maddox and Mo aren't here. Alright, who let them run off on their own?"

       "Don't look at me," Giovanni said. "Maddox may be my best friend but I'm not his babysitter. That, and he told me he's going to the decorations that trigger if someone steps on something or by motion. I don't want to get jump scared when this is the easiest task their is."