Chapter Six

Leaving the tattoo parlor with two new ear piercings, Hawks was fairly content. This was easily the most rebellious thing he had ever done, and he knew that if he were ever to return to his world he would be in big trouble with the Commission.

But they weren't around, and he was his own person now.

"Next time we'll get you an eyebrow piercing," Jazzy said. "Or we can do a tattoo. We'll want to give your piercings some time to heal before you get more, but we can get to work on everything else until then." They climbed into the car, taking their short hair out of its ponytail and running their fingers through it only to put their hair back into a ponytail.

It had been only about two weeks since his appearance, but already he felt as if he were being integrated into the friend group, beginning to find a role to fit into among them while also figuring out the rolls everyone else played.

So far he had figured out that Lara and Ty played the basic role of mom-friends, with both of them being, essentially, the parental figures of the house who everyone went to for help. Ty was more social than Lara, and also more sporty, while Lara was great help with technology and algorithms and keeping up with trends.

Odette was the resident baby. She was the youngest and newest member of the team, being only nineteen, almost twenty. Blank played the part of the overprotective older sibling to her and everyone else, but Blank was obviously more protective of Odette than the others.

Jazzy was a bit harder to figure out. They, along with Y/N, didn't exactly have their own counterparts or partners. Both of them were more of loners. When Y/N filmed, unless she was playing a specifically two or more player game, she mostly filmed alone.

And then Jazzy did whatever it was they did. He wasn't exactly sure. At least they seemed to be warming up to him better than Y/N was. Especially once he told them he wanted a piercing, Jazzy had warmed right up, explaining that they too got their first piercing as an act of rebellion.

"Whatcha thinking about, chicken shit?" Jazzy asked. Hawks glanced over to them, an eyebrow raised.

"You, mostly," he said. "Well, Y/N too."

They made a sort of strangled noise of acknowledgement, keeping their eyes on the road as they drove to wherever they were gonna stop for lunch. He took that as a sign to continue.

"I've noticed that neither of you have your, like, partners I guess. Like, Lara has Ty, Blank has Odette, and then you and Y/N are both just sort of... there," he said, shrugging. "I don't know what you do for the channel, and Y/N is more of a loner just all around."

Jazzy hummed, taking a sip of their drink.

"Well, my role is easy to explain. I run my own independent channel from theirs focusing on animation and gaming, and also I'm an editor for videos and moderator for streams," they explained. "I'm not much of an in-your-face type of person, and I'm not all that into being recognizable like they are, so I generally keep myself behind the scenes and out of their way. I feel like I fit in better with the faceless community, but I don't know how accurate that is when you animate yourself."

"And Y/N?"

"She and I haven't exactly gotten to know each other too well," Jazzy said, shrugging. "We know each other and are fine with the other's presence, but we're not exactly close friends to the point where we can just sit in the same room in silence without a shared friend with us."

"So how do you know her?" Hawks asked.

"Well, I invited Blank to stay with me since we were internet friends, Blank introduced me to Ty, so I invited her to stay, Ty brought along Lara, and Lara sort of dragged along Y/N. Y/N was a small streamer when we started the channel but she still had a decent and loyal following, but she had said she was looking for a newer direction to start going in, so they all created a channel to stream together on, and Y/N's followers were happy to go support the group and get a bigger group to recognize them. Eventually Ty brought Odette into the group, and Blank just sorta adopted her. Lara and Ty I'm pretty sure had a thing for a while in high-school and maybe still even now. All together, Y/N was the only one who didn't really have any connections to any of us other than Lara, so she just sorta is more independent than the others."

"So, like, it's not just me that she's sorta distant from?" Hawks asked. He leaned back in his seat in relief, allowing himself to relax a bit more. "I thought she was just particularly cold with only me."

"Well, a bit, but also because you kinda just appeared in her room while she was getting changed, so that could be part of the reason." Jazzy chuckled and leaned back in their seat, pulling into a parking space and turning off the car but not yet getting out. "I guess we're sorta like each other's counterpart, y'know? We're both loners, but in two different ways that seem to butt heads more often than not."

After a moment of just leaning back and relaxing, Jazzy finally made a move to leave the car after slapping the steering wheel. "Well, I'm starving so let's go on in, yeah? This place has the best food."

• • • • •

Alright, I have a couple more chapters prepared which I'm planning to save for during November because I'm hoping to work on an original book for NaNoWriMo. Also it might take a bit for me to get back onto the swing of things after November because I'm getting more surgery on December first, yAy

Really, though, the December surgery should be easier than the one that happened earlier this month. It's a much smaller procedure and hopefully I'll be able to get back to 'normal' soon (I say normal like that because you can't exactly be completely normal when you have an entire organ missing)

Anyways, hope you guys liked the chapter. I'll be able to update like three more times before I run out of saved up content lol