(𝟷)

Y/n's hair blows in a breeze as she rides her bike across a country side. 

Now, where to begin? The first thing that you need to know is that my mother named me, Y/n. She insisted on it, in fact!

"Y/n. Y/n." Y/n's mother cradled her as she cooed.

I know its an unusual name, But my mother is rather a fan of word games.

"On your Mark."

"Get Set. Go!"

They play word scramble. 

»»——⍟——««

"Yes." Y/n's mother holds her up.

She would continually tell me.. 

"You'll do very well on your own, Y/n." Y/n coos at her mother. "Mm-hmm."

We we're always together. My father died when I was young. I don't really remember him. And both of my brothers left home soon after. I barely remember them, either. So then it was just the two of us, me and mother. And it was wonderful. 

She was not an ordinary mother. She didn't teach me to string seashells or practice my embroidery. We did different things. Reading, science, sports, all sorts of exercise, both physical...and mental. Mother said we were free to do anything at Ferndell...

Y/n and her mother play tennis in their drawing room. The ball knocks off a statues nose. "Oh. Sorry, Grandpa." 

Y/n stares at her mother and chuckles.

..And be anyone.

Y/n and her mother put on fake moustaches and pose in the bedroom mirror.

»»——⍟——««

They read their own books together as they lay in front of the fire. Her mother tickles her nose as Y/n and her mother laugh.

She was my whole world. But she didn't share everything with me. 

Y/n walks past a meeting room in her house seeing that her mother is in a meeting.

"Right, ladies, to conclude: our choices, the bankmen met, entangle herb, Ellie Houseman." Her mother, Eudoria whispers to women in a room just enough for Y/n to hear. 

"Are we all agreed, yes? Ellie Houseman."

Y/n slowly opens the door to see the women as they all gasp and look straight at her.

Mother believed privacy was the highest virtue, and the one most frequently violated. 

Eudoria see's her and closes the door in her face. Y/n was able to see the slightest bit of a map. 

Which leads me to the 2nd thing you need to know. A week ago, on the July morning of my 16th birthday, I awoke..

"Mother?"

Y/n looks in her mothers room then turns around slowly. 

..To find that my mother was missing. She'd left Ferndell Hall, our home, at some point during the night.

"Mother?"

Y/n sits on the floor in the drawing room, slowly bouncing the tennis ball. She closes her eyes as a tear falls down her cheek.

And she did not return.

She left me with little, bar some gifts that she instructed Mrs. Lane to give me at teatime.