eight | bruises

                                CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

↪BRUISES↩

  {tw: ⚠mentions of abuse⚠}

LYSSA'S EYES SLOWLY trailed over the yellow exterior of the house she once called home. The house that held her first ever tears - nothing worth being happy happened in that house. She remembered when her parents were still together. And most of the time, she would twist the memories into happy ones. Because typically for a child, when a messy divorce between their parents happens, all their good memories gets spilt into two. But for the Harper girl, it was quite the opposite.

No matter how much her brain twisted reality, she knew her family was fucked up. Everyone's family is. Just hers was royalty fucked. She found her most happiest memories being tucked away in a corner, drawing and coming up with a better alternate life-style for herself. A life-style where she didn't stay up all night listening to her parent's booming voices when having an argument and the sounds of glass shattering. She enjoyed escaping the harsh reality.

It didn't surprise the Harper girl when her father left because she too wanted out. But the only thing that broke her was how her father left her behind without even turning back. She use to try and convince herself that her life wasn't all that bad - instead she was just having a terrible nightmare and everything would go back to normal when she awoke. That her mother wasn't constantly drowning her sorrows with any hard liquor she could get her hands on and the harsh words that left her cheeks tear-stained and heartbroken. That her mother's fist wouldn't hit her and leave marks she couldn't cover up no matter how hard she tried.

Happiness was a foreign word for her. It didn't seem to be in the picture for her, and for awhile, she was fine with that. She was okay with being thrown like a rag doll and belittle for even breathing.

But she learned what happiness really was and that happened to be because of the Pogues. They were her happiness and reason to continue on living her life.