Volume 1 Chapter 3: Making Friends

We find our trio of (Y/N), Ruby, and Jaune walking down one of the outer walkways. Ruby was apologizing on behalf of (Y/N) while he looked like he didn't care.

Jaune: All I'm saying is that motion sickness is a much more common problem than people let on!

Ruby: Look, he's sorry! Vomit Boy was probably the first thing that came to mind.

Jaune: Oh, yeah? What if I called you Crater Face?

Ruby: Hey, that explosion was an accident!

(Y/N): Give it a rest you two. By the way, my name's (Y/N).

Jaune: The name's Jaune Arc. Short, sweet, rolls off the tongue - ladies love it!

Ruby: Do they?

(Y/N): For some reason I highly doubt that.

Jaune: They will! Well, I-I hope they will. My mom always says that... Never mind.

And then came the awkward silence.

Ruby: So... I got this thing!

She said as she pulled out her scythe from the robbery a few days back.

Jaune: Woah! Is that a scythe?

Ruby: It's also a customizable high-impact sniper rifle!

Jaune: A-wha...?

(Y/N): It's also a gun.

Jaune: Oh. That's cool!

Ruby: So what've you guys got?

Jaune: Oh! I, uh... I got this!

He said as he unsheathed his sword.

Ruby: Ooooohh!

(Y/N): Cool sword.

Jaune: Yeah, and I've got a shield, too!

He gets his scabbard, raises his arm and expands the metal into the aforementioned shield.

Ruby: So, what do they do?

Jaune starts fumbling with the shield as it retracts off his arm, expands, and retracts again before (Y/N) grabs it out of the air as it retracts. He then hands it back to Jaune who puts it back on his belt.

Jaune: Thanks. The shield gets smaller, so when I get tired of carrying it, I can just... put it away...

(Y/N): But wouldn't it weigh the same?

Jaune: Yeah, it does... So how about you (Y/N)?

(Y/N): I don't have a weapon.

Ruby: Oh yeah, you didn't use anything the other day.

(Y/N): I'm still learning the basics of swordplay from Wrath and I learned how to fight hand to hand from Greed. Other than Wrath, none of us have weapons.

Ruby: Oh yeah, didn't he have two swords with him?

(Y/N): Believe it or not he can use up to five at a time.

Jaune: Really? Maybe he can help me with my sword skills.

(Y/N): Just ask. He's actually really nice compared to the rest of my brothers and sister despite his name. I'm sure if you just asked he would give you lessons.

Ruby: Hmm. Hey, where are we going?

Jaune: Oh, I don't know! I was following you guys. Y-You think there might be a directory? Maybe a food court? Some kind of recognizable landmark?

(Y/N): Don't worry about it. I can find the way.

(Y/N) moved his hand over his left eye and the ouroboros appeared just like on Wrath's eye.

Ruby + Jaune: Woah!

(Y/N): Alright. I know the way, just follow me.

The ouroboros disappeared when he moved his hand over his eye for a second time. He led his new friends to the auditorium that was full of people. Ruby and (Y/N) start looking around for their respective family members and spot them. (Y/N) spots Greed waving to him as he is the tallest of them.

Greed: Over here! We got a spot!

Ruby: Oh! Hey, I-I gotta go! I'll see you guys after the ceremony!

Ruby then heads over to her sister.

(Y/N): Yeah, I should go too. See ya, Jaune.

(Y/N) then leaves in the opposite direction.

Jaune: Hey, wait! Ah, great. Where am I supposed to find another nice, quirky girl or a cool guy to talk to?!

Back with (Y/N), he arrives and stands next to Greed with the other two on the opposite side of him.

Envy: Took ya long enough. Those your friends?

(Y/N): Yeah, that's Jaune and you already met Ruby. Ruby caused the explosion earlier. She sneezed on some stuck up girl's dust and it exploded.

Wrath: I see... Well, I think it's wonderful that you are already making friends.

Greed: How come when we were home you never wanted to make friends but now you're making pals with everyone you meet?

(Y/N): I don't know. Maybe it's because this is a new environment for everyone. Nobody knows anyone so why not meet some people rather than in a place where everyone knows everybody.

Greed: Whatever. At least now I can have some free time without you pestering me all the time.

Wrath: Quiet. It's starting.

They all turned their attention to the stage where Ozpin was standing in front of a microphone.

Ozpin: I'll... keep this brief. You have traveled here today in search of knowledge, to hone your craft and acquire new skills, and when you have finished, you plan to dedicate your life to the protection of the people. But I look amongst you, and all I see is wasted energy, in need of purpose, direction. You assume knowledge will free you of this, but your time at this school will prove that knowledge can only carry you so far. It is up to you to take the first step.

Ozpin then leaves as Goodwitch steps up to the microphone.

Goodwitch: You will gather in the ballroom tonight. Tomorrow, your initiation begins. Be ready. You are dismissed.

(Time Skip)

It was now night in the ballroom. Plenty of students were getting ready for bed including (Y/N). Greed, Envy and Wrath were nowhere to be seen. (Y/N) was now in a white shirt with (F/C) pajama pants. He somehow changed clothes without bringing any. He was thinking to himself while sitting on his bed.

(Y/N): I wonder where they go every night? As you can probably tell, dear reader, we aren't exactly normal. We don't need food or sleep like other people but I like to sleep for the extra energy. Plus food is just tasty. I'll probably know where they go in a future chapter. I wasn't born this way. I don't remember anything past 5 years ago but according to Greed that was when I obtained my powers and lost the need to eat and sleep. Wrath got his power around the same time but kept his memories. Nobody will tell me about my past self. I've even tried asking Father about it but not even he will tell me. All he has told me is that me and Wrath are something called a human-based homunculus. I have no idea what that is and when I try to look it up there is no info on it. Wrath is the same as me but Father told me that I'm special compared to the rest of them, but he won't tell me why. The only real special thing about me is that I have all of the abilities of my brothers and sister. Well, I should probably fix the fourth wall before it gets too out of hand. Don't worry, we'll talk again.

(Y/N) came out of his thoughts only to hear Ruby, Weiss and Yang arguing in a corner. Nearby was the girl with a bow on her head from this morning. She was holding a book while surrounded by candles. Her attention was on the three other girls but soon noticed the young man staring at her. He gave her a small wave and she waved back before returning to her book. (Y/N) lied down on his back.

(Y/N): I can already tell that this place is going to be fun.

He then thought about what Greed said earlier. "How come when we were home you never wanted to make friends but now you're making pals with everyone you meet?". That single sentence was pestering his mind until he fell asleep.

Volume 1 Chapter 3 End