Chapter 1

.....................................................................................
Hi everyone! Thank you for reading! A quick disclaimer, I do not own any of the original cast of Avatar the Last Airbender.

This story is a differentiation from the original story, the cast will be older, around 17-19 and will be more mature, meaning mature language and scenes will be involved.

Azula was always a fascinating character to me, based on her power and ultimate decline into madnesses. In this tale, I wanted to tackle the mental and physiological issues she is facing. Adding in love and an intricate story line of loss and new beginnings, follow Azula as she rediscovers who she is and how SHE can be the hero.

.................................................................................

I always knew I was adored. Adored, honored, worshiped by thousands, feared by millions. But that's just it, that is how it supposed to be. That is how I like it.

I never understood love. Always considered it a distraction. Pointless. To love, is to loose sight of your power. The only way to truly gain power, is to be feared. To be hated to the point that the only thing keeping the others around, is by the possibility you might lash out. I am a ticking time bomb.

While I've never seen the point in right and wrong, I understood my own morality. The benefits to me, always out weighed others' needs. I deserve what I was born into. I deserved to rule as is my divine right.

I have been locked in a psychic ward for 36 days, 7 hours and 34 minutes. I've been counting, as it's a distraction to the voices in my head. They keep coming on in droves. In the ice that is poured on me daily to keep the fire at bay. To keep me from exploding.

Since the war ended and my father and I both put imprisoned, I only have time to think. Think about my past and my failures, brought down by my inability to control my own mind. What a weak fool.

I groaned and turned away, to my cold cot on the stone floor, I sat down with my head in my hands. Pressing hard against my temples to make the words stop.

"Azula, you know I never thought you a monster."

My mother's voice whispered in my ear. I could almost feel her breath and the smell of her jasmine perfume stung my nose.

"Go away! Go away! You are lying!" I screeched into the open, endless cool air of my cell.

Rubbing my temples vigorously as to sooth away the comfort of her voice. I didn't need her love. I didn't want it. It wasn't meant for me.

The cell for swung open, it was time for me to be chilled, as I have come to call it. To be as cold as a waterbender and never tough my flame again.
"Hello boys, is it time again?" I asked sweetly, fluttering my eyelashes and looking the guards up and down.

There were two, one fire nation and one water tribe. The fire nation soldier was older, mid to late thirties with a lag in his left leg, an easy pressure point. I smiled at him and saw the sweat rolling down his neck. He should fear me, I want that fear, I thrive on fear.

The other man with bright blue eyes seemed unfazed I turned my slender eyes to him. Once I took time to notice him, he wasn't as old as his partner. He was no older than twenty, with black, shaggy hair, and a scar that crossed over his top lip.

"Who are you?" I asked bluntly, not breaking eye contact.

He merely looked at me, cold, unfazed eyes. I need a reaction. I wanted a reaction.

"You refuse to answer a princess in her own country, not very civil of you, water peasant" I said with a sneer, twiddling with my fingernails as if he was below me, as if he didn't exist.

I never got an answer. I was forced to kneel by the fire nation soldier. Forced to look my lesser in the eye as the water tribe boy engulfed my whole boy in ice water. A punishment for being a monster.