buck [1].

[buck's pov]

i adjusted my uniform in the bathroom mirror, my tired reflection staring back at me. i looked like i came straight out of a tim burton movie.

"jesus.."

i rubbed my dark circles, yawning as i remembered last night. the corners of my lips curved into a smirk, i could still feel the way my back was blown out. my cheeks tinted pink, glowing brighter as i walked out the restroom, unable to hide my growing grin.

i was just about to head upstairs until-

"buck! there you are."

i flipped my neck around so hard it almost broke off, my eyes going wide. "cole?"

"the one and only~" he winked at me, moving his hands from behind his back to hand me a small box with a red ribbon around it.

"what's this-" i began to unravel it 'till he stopped me and leaned his mouth near my ear.

"open it later.." he whispered. i was just about to ask him why until i heard hen's deafening scream.

"EVAN BUCKLEY—"

"oh lord," i said to myself as cole slipped his hand around the small of my back, pulling me closer.

"is this mystery man??" she whisper-yelled at me while she held her hand out, taking his in hers.

"cole, meet hen. hen, meet cole," i introduced them as hen kept shaking his hand.

"no wonder buck's been walkin' funny."

"wait wha-"

"-ya'll are having a party without us?" chim called from the top floor, bobby right behind him as they joined us.

"hi, i'm chimney, this is captain nash, and- eddie's around here somewhere.." chimney shook his hand, bobby doing the same as chim craned his neck.

"hey, i'm cole. buck's boyfriend," he said so nonchalantly as he tightened his grip on my waist, flashing them a smile.

i froze in place, flustered from what he just said. b-boyfriend? we've barely even been on an actual date. he was going to be a one night stand-

"-buck? you still there?" cole waved his hand in front of my face, chuckling as i shook myself back to reality.

"yeah, yeah. i'm- let me just put this in my locker real quick.." i gave the box a little jiggle as i feigned a smile.

my feet glided across the room so quickly it felt like they weren't even touching the floor. i lost sight of everything around me, replaying cole's words.

i mean, i've wanted one since eddie. and now i've found someone who's respectful and comfortable with their own sexuality. just like that one couple said, "you don't find it son, you make it."

is cole the one i'm going to make it with?

i reached the locker room, and i walked in to see eddie getting off a call.

"who's that?" i asked him, opening up my locker and setting my gift on the top shelf.

"just carla and chris.." he sighed. "what's that?"

"a gift," i smirked at him, tilting my head smugly.

"from who? it's not even christmas yet."

"my boyfriend."

[eddie's pov]

a bead of sweat rolled down my face as i sucked in a breath of fresh air. i had just won a fight and probably scored a good $1,000, give or take.

"hey ed, you up for one more?" 

i looked over at my boss, dressed in a new expensive suit. not to stroke my own ego, but he definitely got that because of me.

"yeah... yeah, i can go again."

"attaboy, go on, get in there!" he clapped me on my back, my knees nearly giving out as i climbed into the boxing ring.

i wiped my nose, still bloody from my previous fight. i glanced at the left corner where i won, already filling my nose with the familiar silvery stench. sometimes, i wonder if i hurt more people than save... and if it cancels out. like pemdas? might not be the healthiest coping mechanism but it's better than nothing.

i hadn't realized that i was zoned out, the ring of the referee's whistle snapped me back. my eyes finally focused on my opponent, just as their fist connected to my jaw.

the crowd 'oohed' in unison as i had the wind knocked out of me. the back of my head harshly smacking the floor. did this guy bench press skyscrapers for fun?

the tears in my eyes blurred my vision, but i could still see his arm wind backwards, ready to strike again. out of instinct, i blocked his punch with my forearms, distracting him as i gripped his waist with my legs.

i blinked my eyes clear as i rolled myself over, freezing up the moment my eyes fell on him.

"cole?.." instead of a response, i was met with a punch to the gut, causing me to double over.

"how the fuck-" his eyebrows furrowed as he stood over me clutching my stomach. "wait, you're eddie?"

his face switched from confusion to realization immediately, chuckling as he shaked his head in disbelief. "to think he'd cry over you."

my eyes darted back and forth, the piercing pain in my abdomen making it impossible to speak.

"stay away from buck, or i might have to finish the job," he crouched, shaking his fist with a devilish grin. between his fingers were brass knuckles, sharpened and spiked at the tips, covered in my own blood..

it took all the remaining strength in my body to lift my neck and look at the damage he'd done. i counted four short but deep cuts, one of them spurting out blood like a fountain. cole's footsteps became faint as my neck gave out, slamming into the ground again. all i could hear was a thud before blacking out.