Chapter 3

Waking up to a knock at the door, Ivy's hands slid across the black silk sheets, unable to get and traction, she fell face first out of bed. Trying to untangle herself from the oversized comforter, Ivy threw it down in frustration. Grabbing the side of the bed and pulled herself to her feet when she stopped seeing stars.
"I'm coming!" she yelled as she started for the door, pulling her hair into a messy bun at the base of her neck before opening the doors and walking into the sitting room. Her clothes from the day before were wrinkled and clinging oddly to her form as she yawned and shuffled into sight.
The room was filled with blinding sunlight filtering through the large glass doors that lead to her balcony. A tall, thin woman with corn yellow silky hair and fixed eyebrows was next to the large table removing silver covered trays from a trolley cart and setting them at the end in her placement.
"Hi," Ivy said awkwardly.
The woman turned and nodded slightly before turning back and removing smaller trays from the cart and setting them next to the larger ones.
"What's all this?" Ivy asked, inching closer to the lady.
"It's your breakfast ma'am," the lady replied with a voice younger than she appeared to be.
"Please have a seat ma'am." she pulled out a chair and waited patiently for Ivy to sit down. She pushed her snugly up to the table.
A loud crackle made Ivy jump a few inches, looking over she saw that the oversized fireplace had been lit and angry little flames diligently consumed the few logs placed on the grate. The warmth was comforting. The falling chunks under the iron rack were red and glowing with the embers of the fallen logs that had already burned. The scent of pine and maple logs mixed into an earthy perfume that filled the room, making a gentle smile creep across Ivy's delicate face.
"I'm Ivy," she said softly.
"Yes ma'am," was the short reply she got from the lady.
"What's your name?" Ivy pressed for a better answer.
"Bridgette ma'am," she replied, as she began to uncover the dishes that were set in front of Ivy. The smell was intoxicating, overpowering the aroma of the fire from her senses instantly.
Fresh cooked Eggs Benedict in hollandaise sauce sat before her on the table. A short stack of fluffy golden pancakes covered in fresh fruits, and sausages that were still sizzling, sat on a dish to the right. Ivy thought she had died and gone to heaven, there was more than enough food here for her, and a small army.
"This looks amazing, Bridgette," Ivy smiled at her as she sat a large glass of orange juice and the pitcher in front of her.
"Thank you, ma'am," she replied as she picked up the silverware setting and placed it next to the main plate.
"You don't have to call me ma'am, just Ivy please."
"Yes ma'am."
Ivy looked up at her, "You're not going to stop calling me ma'am, are you?"
"No ma'am." was the last thing she replied, as she turned and wheeled the cart out of the room, returning only to bow and close the door behind her.
Ivy sat quietly as she ate the delicious food, the sound of the occasional popping of firewood, burning in the grate, broke the silence. When she finished she quickly stacked the dishes and wiped her face. Muttering to herself as she finished, "I need to talk to my mom." She turned and went to her room, grabbed her sneakers from where they tumbled over the edge of the bed and made her way back to the sitting room.Ivy screamed like a lost babe in the woods, nearly jumping out of skin.
"Good morning, Ivy." John was standing next to a large silver rolling rack, that was taller than she was, filled with hanging black bags with zippers.
"Jesus John! Are you trying to kill me? Say something next time!" Ivy, at this point, was leaning over the arm of the couch holding her chest and trying not to laugh, while being serious.
"This arrived for you today," John smiled.
"What is it?"
"Your new wardrobe for school."
Ivy's smile faded quickly. John unzipped the first black bag. Out came a white button down shirt cinched at the waist, he turned it to show off the green plaid pleated skirt that looked a bit short for comfort and a matching tie.
"Private school???"
"Lynn Preparatory School, your father and grandfather also went there; there's a matching jacket too."
A clear look of disdain was present on Ivy's slender face.
"I also have a dress code and student conduct manuals for you to read through," John stopped when he noticed Ivy was leaning over, her face firmly pressed to the ebony tabletop.
"Does my mom know about this?" her words muffled and half incoherent.
"Yes, she signed the papers an hour ago."
"Where is she? I need to talk to her."
"She has left to talk with your father's lawyer about some things in the will."
"Great!" she said sarcastically.
Ivy peeled her face off the table and watched John roll the clothes into her room. John returned carrying a small silver jewelry box.
"I have a gift for you from your father," handing the box to Ivy.
"What is it?"
"Just open it."
Ivy slowly lifted the lid of the delicate box, inside sat an oval silver locket with a large single diamond in the center of the face. Soft thin carved lines trailed out from the diamond in 8 different directions, making it look like a star. Removing the locket from the velvet cushion it sat on she turned it over. "To My Beautiful Ivy Girl," was written in soft swirling script on the back. Opening the locket she found a piece of baby ivy sealed on the left side, forever perfect in its innocent form, the tiny green veins tracing life to the tips. On the right a picture of her and her father, he was holding her up in the air, about to kiss her; her little two-year-old hands on his face, covering his mouth with Ivy's infant self shrieking in joy.
"It was supposed to be a gift for your eighteenth birthday, but I thought you would like it a bit early I have already looked in the handbook and you can have it, but the other necklaces you are wearing, must go, Only one at a time can be worn. "
"But why can't I have both necklaces, No one will ever see the other one"
"I understand that Ivy, but if any of the teachers or the dean were to see that you had on more than one then you could get into trouble and we don't need to draw any unwarranted attention to us at this time"
"Ok, well why don't I just lose the chain and put my dad's ring on this one with the locket?"
"Because your father wasn't a little man Ivy, the weight of his ring would break that delicate chain"
"Okay John, but I want his ring somewhere safe where it won't go missing and I can always see it. This means a lot to me," Ivy gently caressed the curve of her father's crest.
"Very well, I will make sure they bring a display case from the storage and put it in here under lock and key just for you. Here let me help you with the locket, like I said it's very delicate"
John took the necklace and walked around Ivy as she pulled her low hanging bun up higher and he placed it around her throat, locking the clasp into place. As soon as he was done Ivy pulled the hair tie from her bun letting her soft curls cascade back down to her waist as she turned to face John, she adjusted the necklace so it sat at the center of her chest, nestled in the soft warm flesh, near her heart.
"So, as far as school goes, you're starting next Monday. You'll have this weekend for a break, but that's all.I also have your schedule and the books you'll be using for the classes your father picked for you, your new bag will be here today at some point as well."
"Okay, thanks John."Ivy bit her lip nervously.
"Your car will take you to school and pick you up."
"I have a car?"
"Yes," he replied as if it should have been common knowledge.
"I need to talk to my mom now," Ivy went to the door, but as soon as she did, it opened unexpectedly and in walked Shanon, looking rather unlike herself, in the black skirt suit.
"Don't you like it?" Shanon asked as she twirled a little to show it off.
"Yeah mom, you look great," Ivy wouldn't look Shanon in the eye, knowing she was clearly lying.
"I liked your band tees and jeans better, though." Ivy was beginning to become irritated with the fact that too many changes were happening too fast.
"I know, but I had to meet with the lawyers and talk about stuff, baby."
Shanon was reaching out for a hug. Ivy walked around her ignoring the gesture and went to sit down on the couch, giving her mom the cold shoulder. The cushions were warm from the fire and she could feel it through her jeans. Shanon joined Ivy on the couch and patted her hand nervously.
"So I've been talking with your father's lawyers. Your father loved you so very much baby and when he died, he left you this house but that's not the only thing he left you, sweetie!"
"What do you mean, mom?"
"Your father had an insurance policy before he got sick."
"Okay.....and?"
"Well, you are never gonna have to work or want for anything Ivy, ever again, with the insurance money, your father's companies and what your grandfather left him, which in turn he left to you, you own it all!",
"In total your worth over half a billion dollars Ivy!" Shanon laughed a little manically. Ivy just sat there silently.
"Ivy, say something sweetie." Shanon patted her hand gently a few times more, trying to get some kind of reaction. What she got was not what she expected.
"I don't want it! I don't want any of it!!!" tears welling up in her eyes.
"What do you mean you don't want it, Ivy!"
"I don't want his money mom, I want him back!"
"He's not coming back Hedera, nothing will bring him back you need to accept that. I've already signed all the papers, it's all yours when you turn eighteen in a couple months."
Ivy saw movement out of the corner of her eye and looked up, John was coming toward her carrying a large glossy black case. Shanon turned and pulled an envelope from her purse and handed it to Ivy, on the front in silver script was written, Hedera Fomalhaut. Turning it over to find a red wax seal of her family's crest, Ivy broke the seal in half and opened the letter. A simple silver key fell into her lap. Picking it up with a questioning look on her face she then notices the lock on the front of the black box John had set down on the table. She turned and began reading the letter in her hand.
"Hedera, my darling child, you were my greatest creation on this earth. Being long gone at this point, I know you are angry and confused. because if you're reading this then you can see the legacy I'm leaving behind for you. You are more important to this world than you know just yet. This key will open a lot of things for you remember that the contents of the box are yours on your birthday, It will not open till then. John will keep it safe for you until then," Ivy looked at John, he nodded slightly and walked over taking the box from the table and leaving the room quietly. Ivy continued reading. "I hope you enjoy the classes I've selected for you, and know that I love you more than life itself my darling ivy girl. The road ahead of you will not be easy but I know you have the strength in you to do what must be done. I will always be with my child. All my love till the end of time - Sabian."
Ivy turned away from her mother trying to hide the tears, smearing the remainder of the eyeliner from the previous day.
"This is a lot to take in, in one morning mom," trying to keep her voice steady. "Can I go for a walk? I'm feeling really closed up in here. I'll stay on the grounds, I promise."
"It's your house baby, you can do what you want," Shanon smiled. Ivy just nodded, grabbing the key and letter and headed for the door to her room. Closing them behind her, she leaned against it, her forehead firmly pressing against the smooth cool panel. Flipping the lock with a sharp click, the tears broke free and spilled to the floor below her feet. She turned and ran to the bathroom stripping off the feelings, pain and her clothing as she went. The only thing left, by the time she shut and locked the bathroom door behind her, was her tank top and boy shorts. The full blast of hot water from the shower quickly filled the bathroom with a thick steam that billowed out around her as she stood there looking at herself in the full-length mirror that hung on the back of the bathroom door. Ivy examined the long lines of her arms and the shape of her pretty face, the fullness of her pouting mouth and the flecks of golds and blues in the emerald of her eyes, framed by the thickness of her lashes that still had chunks of mascara stuck to them. Her wandering eyes found the silver chain to the locket, gently she removed it and set it on the back of the toilet with the key and letter. Ivy stepped into the shower and slid the glass door closed behind her, she stood with both hands on the wall as she faced the drain, letting the waterfall of nearly hot water embrace every inch of porcelain skin on her delicate frame. The water pushed her hair down her back and around her shoulders and face. Closing her eyes she let the water take the sounds of the world around her down the drain, along with the remainder of the makeup from her face. Turning off the shower she took a towel from the wall, wrapped herself up and stepped out onto the cool marble. She made her way back to her room leaving behind little wet footprints in a trail to the vanity. Grabbing her backpack she pulled out her hoodie with thumb holes, a tank top and a clean pair of jeans that had penned designs swirling down the right leg, framing a William Blake poem she loved so much. Quickly getting dressed she tossed on her socks and shoes. Ivy turned back to the vanity mirror and looked at herself for a minute, wondering if anyone was ever going to see her, like really see her. She began applying her eyeliner in a thick, clean line on her upper lid, kicking the side out just right for a little flare. She then filled in her eyebrows a little bit before grabbing the mascara and framing her eyes. The black mascara looked like lace against her creamy skin. She partially dried her hair with a towel before tossing it on the floor. She picked up her earbuds and was half sprinting for the door as she pushed them into her ears. The loud bass and lyrics drowned out everyone and anything she passed. Skipping steps as she came down the stairs, like a twister set loose in the flat lands, swinging around the banister at the end and down the hall. Not stopping she burst through the front doors. The sunlight, bright and blinding engulfed her form.