Chapter 8

Weeks passed and the days never seem to end. Ivy stuck to herself mostly after the rumors spread of her supposed attack on Kate, the only person that didn't treat her like a disease was Sylar, which only fueled the fire of Kate's hatred for Ivy. Very few people would talk to her in hushed voices and only when no one was looking. Sylar, on the other hand, tried to talk to Ivy as much as he possibly could, but Ivy kept ignoring him in hopes that this forced solitude would be enough to show people she wasn't the monster that Kate made her out to be.
Ivy studied and worked hard to catch up and turned in all of the assignments. But even doing that didn't help, it was like the teachers were biased as well, poisoned by Kate at every opportunity. Ivy subconsciously began to believe the whispers she'd heard in the restrooms and the notes she'd find shoved into her locker telling her she was a whore that needed to go back to where she came from. She did want to go back to Denver, this place, and these people were awful and vindictive in the worst kind of way. Each day she went to school, it was a hell on earth, like the classes drug on in an endless cycle, living bell to bell until the last one released her.
With the snow barely sticking on the ground, it was still too cold for Ivy to wander the grounds. So she set her sights on wandering the house instead, only to find that there were as many locked doors as hired help. They watched her through veiled eyes as they cleaned and prepared the meals. Funny how learning to pick a lock when she'd been bored one day came in handy.
Ivy found herself in a very dark room, only a sliver of light on the far wall came through, what she was sure were curtains. Closing the door quickly so no one would find her, Ivy tried to steady her breathing as her eyes adjusted to the dimness. She slowly made her way to the sliver of light and grabbing both sides of the cloth she yanked the curtains open. The light shone through, bouncing off crystals and silver trinkets, throwing rainbows around the room. Ivy turned to discover a huge library of endless books, massive bookcases filled and overflowing with knowledge. There were so many books that stacks of books in piles crowded the floor, scattered like a battlefield of fallen soldiers. She spent hours looking through as many as she could pull from the shelves, falling in love with far away places and a prince so handsome and pure his kiss could break any enchantment.
Each day after school she'd made it her mission to find a new room and she did most of the time, occasionally she'd have to look as if she was doing something other than picking a lock to another room, when a maid would walk by or when she saw John or her mother walking around hurriedly.
"You know if you keep ducking out after the last bell people are gonna talk even more."
Ivy quickly jumped up from where she was crouched trying to pick yet another lock, Sylar was leaning against the wall smirking.
"How did you get into my house?"
"John asked me to come help him with some things and I figured, seeing as how I was here already, it would be the perfect time to see you, cause you ignore me when we're at school"
"I'm sure, as much as they talk now, someone's gonna bite a hole through their tongue...and I don't ignore you I just don't need any more problems. If I get kicked out, John and my mom will know something's up." Ivy went back to picking the lock.
"That wouldn't be a bad thing, you know."
"What? That something's up or people biting themselves?"
"Both!"
"Are you mad? If they found out that everyone thinks I attacked Kate when she really attacked me they'd pull me out before I could graduate. I only have a few weeks left and I'll never have to go back again."
Ivy tried to take advantage of the moment of silence by grabbing her tools from the floor and making her escape, but Sylar trailed close behind her.
"So your birthday's in two weeks and were going to be on winter break in one, lucky. Are you gonna have a party?"
"Yes, because my millions of friends are breaking down the door to come to my birthday party." Her sarcasm was so thick you could've had two pieces of it with ice cream.
"I'd come."
Ivy stopped and looked back at Sylar, who was smirking. She rolled her eyes and kept walking.
"Don't pity me."
"I'm not, I'm serious! "
"Yeah sure. "
Ivy quickly rounded the corner that led back to her hallway she almost half screamed when she ran right into John and landed on her butt.
"Well, hello to you two ..." John leaned down and pick Ivy up off of the floor, he gave Sylar an odd look, this caught Ivy's attention, but she said nothing. His manner quickly changed if she hadn't been paying attention, she wouldn't have noticed it.
"What are you to kids doing?"
"Nothing" Ivy quickly replied as she adjusted her band t-shirt and fixed a sock that had slipped down into her skater sneakers. John looked at her suspiciously.
"Me and Ivy were just on our way to her room. She wanted to show me some pictures of her and her dad."
"You mean, Ivy and I Sylar, Ivy and I," John corrected him. A young man with the education you have shouldn't speak as if he's dim-witted."
"Right, Ivy and I."
Sylar grabbed Ivy's hand and pulled her away from John and his quizzical stare. It was the nudge she needed to get her moving in the right direction. Quickly they hurried down the long hallway ducking behind the curtains to the dark, second hallway. Ivy found the light switch with easier and they both stood there quietly holding their breath. Ivy peeked out to make sure John was gone.He was, and she let the giggle that had been trapped escape and fill the room. It was infectious, Sylar began to laugh too.
"That was good, for a dork."
He flashed that grin that made Ivy's knees a little weak. Sylar turned his attention to the portraits, looking at the images of Ivy's life immortalized around him on the walls.
"You were a cute kid....what happened?"
"Uh, I'm still cute, jerk face."
"I know! I'm just being a smart ass."
Ivy bit her bottom lip gently and grinned, knowing he was flirting with her, she moved around him quickly and opened the door to her sitting room. It was immaculate like it always was, thanks to the help.
"You can set your things down on the table if you want," Ivy pointed in the general direction of the table and went to the balcony doors. Pushing them open she was hit with the crisp autumn air, just enough of a chill to send goosebumps down her arms, but the deep earthy smell made it worth it. Kicking her shoes off she stepped out onto the cold stones of the balcony, She could hear Sylar saying something in the room behind her, but his voice was muffled.
"I can't hear you when I'm out on the balcony, Sylar!"
Her attention focused on trials of strange purple lights in the distance. The throbbing glow of the lights grew and dimmed, like a heartbeat, around the lake. Ivy wanted to know, very badly, about those lights and turned to go ask Sylar if he knew anything about them but found herself only inches from his chest instead. Ivy's breath caught in her lungs, her heart beat so loud, It was like a war drum in her chest and she was sure he could hear it giving her away. He did not back away from her and Ivy looked slowly up at him. Looking down at her, his eyes so crystal clear she could swear they were glowing. The blues of his eyes were countered by splinters of hazel speckles and small splashes of green encircled with black rings. At that moment the world could have caught fire and burned around them, but all Ivy would see were Sylar's eyes.
Sylar could see Ivy's lower lip quiver, he leaned down and took her bottom lip between his like it was second nature. He kissed her gently and firmly, his hands caressed her face. He kissed her deeply and passionately. Gently biting her lip as he broke the kiss, it left them both breathless, staring at each other. Ivy could feel the heat radiating from her mouth. Her heart raced like a stampede of wild Mustangs running across the open plains of the west. She couldn't help the laughter it engulfed her like one of those laughs that made your face and sides hurt so much that you're begging to catch your breath. It blindsided Sylar and then they were both laughing. At that moment it felt like a weight on Ivy's heart had been lifted. Ivy turned her face up to the darkening sky, smiling so big, her heart swelling as she felt the first snowflake to fall land on her cheek. Her eyes wide open, she watched as the heavens open up and snow for the first time since she had come to this strange new place. The flakes grew larger and covered them both, like negative polka dots. This moment was her heaven.
Sylar grabbed her hand, pulled her inside and began brushing the stray snowflakes from her hair. Taking her delicate hands in his larger ones he leaned down and blew the warmth of his sweet breath onto her chilled fingertips to warm them He looked into her eyes, the fire glowed. Warm light reflected from streaks of gold that ran through his eyes making them glow as well. Sylar moved the stray piece of hair from Ivy's face and pulled her close again. Kissing her deeply and passionately once more, as gently. Ivy's senses were filled with the sweet smell of his cologne, her hands with the soft warm skin of his neck. Sylar cupped her face and the nape of her neck. It was sealed for Ivy, she had this feeling her whole world was changing, but this boy was the beginning of something different. She'd never felt like this before, never thought she could feel like this about anyone. In Denver, people thought she was beautiful but were wary of her, somehow her eye color made her look unlike anyone else and her beauty caused people think she was a snob. She assumed they didn't bother trying to get her attention for fear of rejection. But here in her perfect moment, there was nothing, no judgment, no fear, no anger, no sadness just the spark of first love. The taste of this new feeling was intoxicating. Ivy hoped this moment would never end that it would be like the fairy tale endings she read about in so many books, in her secret library. The young prince to save the day, swooping the damsel in distress off her feet and away from danger and true love's first kiss would set her free, but that wasn't the case at least not fully. Ivy was falling in love with her childhood friend, she was scared and hopeful but knew if this was real it would be the love she had dreamt of, if it faltered she would be devastated, was it worth it to leap with her eyes closed, into the abyss? Completely and utterly yes, he was everything she wanted, his heart made him beautiful to her, even if he was gorgeous with a strong jawline and perfect athletic physique. She just hoped he was feeling the same about her and wouldn't hurt her too badly if it did end. Suddenly, Sylar did something that was totally against the rules and picked Ivy up, as she started yelling and laughing demanding to be put back down he did, but they both went down together. He pretended to faint onto the couch, going over the side with Ivy in his arms. She went down screams and all as he snuggled her, holding her as she fought to be set free. Ivy finally gave up in a flurry of huffs and puffs. Sylar just smiled at her, half his face covered by a pillow so his perfect smile stood out even more.
"Resistance is futile, beautiful."
Ivy just laid there in a mess of her hair and arms looking like she just lost the great war. She couldn't even be mad as she turned and snuggled into his broad chest.
"This isn't over...."
"I hope not!"
"Well good cause it's not."
"Good."
"Great."
"Awesome."
"Spectacular."
"Are you done yet?"
"Nope, not even close."
Sylar laughed as he took a couch pillow and put it over Ivy's head playfully.
"Shhh, Ivy, it's okay the pillow is your friend."
Ivy pushed the pillow away.
"I don't like Mr. Pillow we're not friends!"
They both laughed as she picked up her own pillow and pulled some ninja moves on Sylar, smacking him a few times with it before he even had a chance to retaliate .
" It's so on! You'd better run!"
Ivy did just that, instantly she was up running to her room for cover. Sylar was hot on her tail, smacking her in the behind with the pillow, both of them laughing hard.