Chapter 5

Ivy woke up to a knock at the door, she shot straight up, looking around scared and confused. "Where am I, where am I!?" The room was dark, the only light was peeking through the curtained window and a thin line came from the barely open, bathroom door. Feeling the warm blankets around her gave her solace, making her feel a little safer. The knock at the door came again, this time a little harsher than the first.
"Ma'am, your breakfast is ready and your clothes for school are pressed and laid out for you... when you're ready."
"Bridgette?"
"Yes, Ma'am?"
"Why are my clothes ready for school? I don't have until Monday!"
"It is Monday, Ma'am," Bridgette replied through the closed door.
"It's Monday???How could it be Monday this was Friday! How did I lose two whole days?" Ivy felt sick to her stomach.
"Bridgette?"
There was no reply. Ivy called for her once more and still nothing. She very slowly crawled from her bed and looked at herself in the mirror, to make sure all her limbs were still intact. Noting that from head to toe, there wasn't anything missing she walked to the sitting room door and opened it only to find the room was indeed empty. Bridgette had gone as quietly as she had come, leaving only the neatly placed silver trays of breakfast and the Lynn Prep School clothes as evidence she had even been there at all. Still feeling sick she didn't touch the food and just picked up her clothes from the couch and went back to her room. Ivy made her way to the bathroom and started the shower, she undressed and jumped in, trying to wash up and get out quickly so she could get her hair as dry as she possibly could, before getting dressed. A knock came again, on her bedroom door, as she was putting on the final touches of her eyeliner.
"Coming! just a second."
Ivy hurried as she applied her mascara and tried to brush her hair out, which was difficult because it was still partially wet. Ivy looked around, trying to remember if she had forgotten anything, she realized at once, she had forgotten her necklace was still in the bathroom and she ran to retrieve it. Lifting the delicate baby ivy necklace from the back of the toilet, Ivy very gently locked the clasp in place, pulling her long hair from under the chain she centered it on her chest, like she had when John first put it around her neck. Grabbing the plaid tie, from where it hung on the bathroom door, she threw it over her shoulder and snagged her jacket from where she had tossed it on the bed, then made her way to the door. The persistent knocking came again. Opening the door quickly, Ivy came face to face with a beautiful black leather messenger bag, embroidered in silver was a palm size "F" in a pretty swirling style on the front left corner.
"Good morning to you too." Ivy fidgeted with her hair as she moved around John
"Good morning Ivy, you look nice!"
"Thanks, John."
"Your books are in the bag along with your schedule and a map of the school. You'll need to go to the provost's office before class, he would like to welcome you to Lynn Preparatory personally. Also, this is your new cell phone, I've already transferred all your contacts, pictures, and music."
"Wait I need to talk to you John! "
"There's no time, we can talk when you get home from school. , You're going to be late if you don't leave soon. Oh, one more thing, this is for you for lunch and anything else you may need when you're not at home."
John handed her a black card that had her name already printed on it.
"A credit card?"
"Yes, for your expenses."
"Okay........"
"Okay, so it is time to go."
"Wait, where's my mom? I gotta say goodbye to my mom!"
"She's already left to deal with the lawyer again this morning. She asked me to tell you good luck, she loves you and she'll see you after school."
Ivy trailed behind John through the house, trying to juggle the things he'd given her. He stopped abruptly in the foyer, she collided into him. Ivy's uncoordinated self-toppled over and she met the marble floor, which was unforgiving even on its best days.
"Sorry John," Ivy mumbled, as he picked her up off the floor.
"You're going to be fine, the car's right outside and we'll get you to school on time. " John was almost soothing as he pulled the tie from her shoulder and put it around her delicate neck, tying the perfect Windsor knot, in moments. Ivy forced a smile and nodded, pulled her bag over her shoulder and put the phone and the card in the pocket of her blazer. John opened the door for her, a half smile on his face, as he was ushered her outside to the waiting car.
"I'll see you when you get home."
Walking out into the sunlight, the breeze was light and had just a bit of chill left in it from the night before. A thin, tall man in a black suit stood in front of a sleek shiny car. The moment Ivy stepped onto the porch, he moved to open the passenger door then stepped to the side, arms crossed behind his back as he waited for her.
Ivy turned to look back at John but he had already closed the door behind her. She was alone on the porch. Putting her head slightly down, she turned and made her way towards the tall man.
"Ma'am."
Ivy nodded and gently slid silently into the car, as he closed the car door behind her. Smoothing her skirt, Ivy looked around. The window between her and the driver was blacked out, the tint on the rest of the windows was so dark it was hard to see much more than shapes on the other side. The car smelled of new leather and was cleaner than any car she had seen before. Noticing a mini fridge, she leaned over and opened it to find bottled water and a few bottles of soda. Looking around some more, she found dials and switches to play with. She started pushing the buttons and switches that changed the air, opened the windows and turned on the radio. Finding only static and religious stations with shouts of hellfire and redemption, she quickly shut the radio off and turned her attention to the phone in her pocket, playing with the features and checking to make sure her contacts were there. Ivy had just started looking for her friend's phone numbers when the car came to a stop. Hearing the driver's door open and close, she smothered her hair while she looked in the mirror she'd flipped down, and closed it again quickly, as the car door opened, letting the obstructed light fill the car. Allowing her eyes adjust for a second before she stepped out of the car, the sounds of other teens filled the air, she looked around and finally set eyes on the building that was to be her own personal "hell" for the remainder of her senior year.
Lynn Prep was huge, towering over Ivy like a scolding parent demanding perfection. Ivy pulled the schedule and map from her bag, as she looked around she noticed a few people staring at her. Feeling very uncomfortable, she hastily put her phone and card in her bag and quickly walked up the stairs to the front doors of Lynn Prep, and went in before anyone could talk to her. It was a bad idea. The halls were jammed with cliches of friends laughing and giggling about their weekend escapades and kids rushing to get to class Feeling lost Ivy looked at the map and tried to figure out which direction to go.
"Can I help you?", Ivy looked up from the map in her hands to find a plump, little woman in a simple black dress spoke as she pushed her black framed glasses back up her nose. Feeling like a deer caught in the headlights, Ivy struggled to respond.
"Uh, yeah, It's my first day," she finally managed to reply. "I'm kinda lost, I'm looking for the provost's office"
"Yes, right this way," the lady turned quickly and walked down the crowded hallway, Ivy tightened her grip on her bag and followed, getting bumped a few times along the way. Reaching a large door with a glass window the lady stopped and turned to Ivy.
"The receptionist will take care of you from here." and she walked away without another word.
Ivy watched the lady go back the way she'd come and took a deep breath as she pushed her way through the door. An older lady sat at an oak desk, typing t on a computer. She looked up and greeted Ivy.
"May I help you?"
"I'm Ivy...I mean I'm Hadera Fomalhaut, I'm..."
But the lady cut her off before she could finish.
"Right this way, Ms.Fomalhaut" she stood and ushered Ivy towards the only other door in the room and knocked. If there had been a reply Ivy hadn't heard it, but the woman opened the door and entered, leaving Ivy alone in the waiting room, for a brief moment, before returning and opening the door wider for her to enter.
"He's ready to see you."
Ivy walked slowly in, scanning the room as she entered. Bookshelves lined the walls filled with, what had to have been, a few hundred books, behind glass doors. Turning fully, she saw the very large cherry oak desk located by the huge window at the end of the room and an older gentleman in a very nice suit sitting at it. He stood and came around with one hand out ready to take Ivy's.
"Welcome my dear, to Lynn Prep. I hope it wasn't too hard to find my office," Dean Morgenstern's voice was deep and didn't match the years his face implied. Ivy shook his hand as he gestured for her to have a seat at one of the two chairs sitting in front of his desk. She set her bag down as he walked back to his chair and sat down at the same time she did.
"Thank you."
"So, I'm sure you've read the handbook and the student conduct manifest. Here at Lynn Prep, we strive for perfection and we'll settle for nothing less. I expect that you will do any and all assignments you need to do to catch up, since your coming to us in the middle of the school year. Your professors have a list of all of the assignments ready for you, along with the list books you'll need."
"My estate manager has already purchased the books for me," Ivy held up her bag.
"Very good then, you'll have no reason not be ready to turn in the completed assignments by the end of the week."
Ivy slumped slightly, already feeling the weight of the new school on slight shoulders
"Yes, sir."
"Your family's generous donation to our fine school helped make Fomalhaut Hall the wing it is today."
"There's a wing named after me?"
" It was actually named after your father," he stood and walked towards a wall of frames and looked back at Ivy as he pointed to a picture of himself and a young man smiling and shaking his hand, in a cap and gown with bright red trim.
"Your father was Valedictorian, he had the highest marks in school and was loved by his peers and professors alike He set a very high standard which I expect nothing less from you. Your family's reputation precedes you, young lady."
"Apparently," Ivy said under her breath looking around awkwardly.
"I will have one of the other seniors show you around after homeroom, she will meet you after the final bell. Mrs. Glandis will show you where your first class is located. Good Day, Ms. Fomalhaut."
Ivy took this as being dismissed so she gathering her things and made a break for the door. Of course, Mrs. Glandis was on the other side waiting for her. She was a short and stout,silver-haired lady that looked like a librarian in her mid-fifties Mrs. Glandis was well manicure from fingertips to her designer glasses and looked lovely, her looks, however, didn't match the rough-toned voice that greeted Ivy in a sharp manner.
"Right this way Ms. FomalHaut."
Ivy just nodded as Mrs.Glandis was already reaching for the door, clearly expected Ivy to follow, which she did in silence. The halls were barren, not a soul in sight, only the sound of the madame's red soled heels clicking as she walked. It seemed like they'd walked half a mile around this school before stopping in front of a row of lockers. Mrs. Glandis pointed to a locker with no lock on it.
"This one's yours, here's your lock, " she placed a very heavy combination lock into Ivy's hand.
"The combination is on the top of your schedule. It's yours and yours alone, if you damage the lock or the locker it will be added to your school fees at the end of the year."
"Yes, ma'am," Ivy put her bag in the locker, grabbing out a few books a notepad and pencil. Mrs. Glandis started walking off, down the hall, so Ivy quickly locked her locker and ran, to catch up.