Helpless

Iroh's POV
Two days had passed and Y/N still hadn't woken up.

I hadn't left her side since we pulled her out of the ocean, I was sat on a chair by our bed, holding her hand.

This is my fault. She jumped in trying to save me.

She risked her life trying to make sure I was okay.

What if she never wakes up?

No healer on this boat has any idea why she isn't waking up.

I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

There's so much more that I need to say to you, to experience with you.

I remembered the betrothal necklace that was still in my pocket.

I promised your father that I'd protect you- I failed, I failed so badly.

I failed you, my love.

I felt my body shaking as I stared at her in her unconscious state.

I reached out to stroke her hair and felt more tears begin to stream down my face as I sobbed and whispered,

"Please, Y/N, wake up. Please. Please. You can't leave me, you can't leave- please. I love you, I love you- so please, just- wake up."

I moved my hand back onto hers and slightly squeezed it.

"I want to marry you, I want us to have kids and see the world, I want to grow old with you, and I promise, I promise I will never let you down again. Never... So please, just- just wake up."

I used my freehand to wipe the tears from my face before taking a deep breath.

There was nothing I could do but wait.

We were due to arrive back in the Fire Nation in a day or two, but I had thought that Y/N would've woken up by now.

Some of the soldiers with healing abilities had checked on her a few times, but they all told me that there's nothing they can do- nobody knows why she won't wake up.

Two days later, I was still beside her when the captain announced through the intercom that we were arriving at the shores of Azulon.

I cradled Y/N in my arms and brought her back to the palace as fast as I could.

"Mother!? Father!? Grandfather!? Grandmother!? Somebody, help! Please!"

My mother ran into the hall and her face dropped the moment she saw Y/N unconscious in my arms. She rushed over and urgently asked me,

"What happened!?"

"It's a long story, we need to get help."

My mother nodded and called for a servant to bring her to a healer and to call my grandfather.

My mother sat beside me in Y/N's room as the healer started his work.

"Iroh, what happened?"

I hung my head as I recalled the events,

"We were on our way back from Omahsu when we encountered a really bad storm in the middle of the night, Y/N went over to the other ships to make sure everyone got inside safely whilst I stayed and made sure everyone was safe on my ship. One of my soldiers was dangling from the watchtower so I climbed up to save him, but I was thrown overboard. To my understanding, Y/N saved him and jumped in after me- the same soldier pulled me out but they didn't find Y/N. I sent everyone out searching for her and when we found her, she was unconscious, and she still hasn't woken up."

My mother's worried expression didn't leave her face but she pulled me in for a hug and I felt a few tears escape my eyes before I whispered,

"Mother, what am I going to do?"

She stroked my hair and tried to assure me,

"Don't worry, Y/N is a strong girl, she's going to be fine."

Suddenly, my little sister burst into the room and ran over to Y/N's bed as the healer was still working.

"What happened? What's wrong with her? Iroh?"

I pulled away from my mother to pick up Ursa and sit her on my knee, giving the healer space. She looked up at my mum and asked,

"Mother, what's wrong with Y/N?"

My mother looked at me and I sighed before explaining,

"Y/N got hurt on our mission, she hasn't woken up in four days."

My little sister's eyes widened and she grabbed onto my hand and looked at me pleadingly,

"But she'll be okay though, right?"

I pulled her in for a hug and mumbled,

"I hope so."

The three of us sat and waited for a while as the healer worked on Y/N. A servant came in and whispered something to my mother, she turned to me and cleared her throat.

"Iroh, there's somebody else I sent for who I believe has the right to be here."

"Who?"

She turned to the door and I followed her gaze to see Y/N's mother stood at the door.

I immediately stood up and greeted her before leading her over to the bed where Y/N laid unconscious.

Her heartbreak was written in her expression as she looked down at her unconscious baby.

The healer was dismissed and Y/N's mother placed her hand on the side of her daughter's face and trailed down to her hand. She sat on the side of the bed, holding tightly onto her hand before wiping the tears from her face and turning to me, managing the words,

"What- what happened to my little girl?"

I took a deep breath before sitting opposite her and explaining everything that happened.

She seemed lost for words and I eventually mustered up the courage to ask,

"Will Y/N's father be joining us?"

She hung her head,

"No... he's not coming."

"Oh."

She looked back at Y/N and asked me,

"So, what's going to happen now? If she can't be healed, what are we meant to do?"

"I-"

I was cut short by a sudden presence at the door,

"Grandfather?"

My grandfather looked over at the four of us before instructing,

"Bring Y/N and follow me, we're going to the South Pole."