Chapter 2

For some reason, she song I had used was taken down and that song had been sung by Heather, so I replaced it with this one, but at least this one has all the words to the song.

As Varian made his way back to his tent, the sound of a soft voice entered his ear. It was definitely feminine, which he was certainly not used to. He followed it listening to the words.

"The sky is dark and the hills are white
As the storm king speeds from the north to night,
And this is the song the storm king sings,
As over the world his cloak he flings:
'Sleep, sleep, little one, sleep!'
He rustles his wings and gruffly sings:
'Sleep, little one, sleep!' "

Varian didn't mean to intrude, but singing was nice and gentle. Not at all the shanties or loud songs the men would sing at times. It wasn't that he didn't like those songs entirely, he was just bored of the lack of variation. This song sounded beautiful, especially from Heather.

The young woman sat on a rock, sharpening her double axe with a rock. There was a scraping sound of flint against steel, but Varian didn't cringe. He was used to the sound. It was almost like an annoying lullaby that would lull him to sleep at times, but Heather's song was a lot more pleasing to hear.

"On yonder mountain-side a vine
Slings at the foot of a mother pine;
The tree bends over the trembling thing
And only the vine can hear her sing:
'Sleep, sleep, little one, sleep
What shall you fear when I am here?
Sleep, little one, sleep.'

The king may sing in his bitter flight,
The pine may croon to the vine to-night,
But the little snowflake at my breast
Liketh the song I sing the best:
'Sleep, sleep, little one, sleep;
Weary thou art, a-next my heart;
Sleep, little one, sleep.' "

Heather stopped singing as she reached the end of the song, but continued to hum. Varian took a step back and stumbled on a rock. Heather spun around, her weapon at ready. When she realized it was only a flushing boy, she stopped. "Oh, it's just you..." she lowered her weapon.

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you, but that song sounded so pretty. I didn't mean to intrude..."

She shook her head. "If I was angry that someone would listen, I wouldn't sing it."

"That's another thing that makes you different from the men," Varian snorted. He sat on a rock a few feet across from Heather's. She smirked.

"So, what's it like being the son of a chief?"

Varian shrugged. "I don't know anything else to compare it to."

"I get what you mean. You know, I was raised by normal Vikings, but my blood father was actually the Chief of Berserker Island. Dagger knew him, so I only have his word to know what he was like. You and I, we're not so different."

"Mmm..." Varian nodded. After a moment's silence he looked at her weapon. "Cool axe, by the way."

"Thanks. Made it myself. Here." she put it in his hands.

"Wow, it's nice to hold and it's not ridiculously heavy. It's flexible, but firm."

She grinned as she took it back. "Yeah, it took a few times to get her just right..."

"Tell me. Do you get along with my uncle?" Varian asked suddenly.

"Does anyone?" Heather raised a brow. "Oh, geez! He gets on my nerves so much!"

Varian giggled, losing his dignified posture. "I know! I don't get along with him either, but he's my uncle, so, you know. I'm stuck with him..."